1 (edited by fynsta 2013-01-04 14:08:10)

Topic: Fireface 800 audio drop out with 2012 21.5" IMAC

Hi,

I have been using my fireface 800 with my 2008 Macbook Pro for two years now without problem
but I've just received a new Imac 21.5 (as my macbook couldn't handle my sessions anymore) aswell
as a new macbook pro for my studio and I've struggled to get my fireface working on the Imac. The Imac
config is 2.7GHzquad-core Intel Core i5 processor with 6MB L3 cache 8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
and is connected to a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter attached to a Lacie Firewire 800 cable going in the 800 port of the Fireface

Installation was pretty quick on the macbook, just downloaded the drivers and flash update from the website
and got it working in a few minutes. But when I try the same thing on the I mac, the audio drops out and stutters
while playback (red light occurs, then syncs back). It used to do the same with my old macbook once in a while
but it would unsync only once ever 10 or 15 minutes and sync back (this was fixed using another firewire cable)

but now it does it every 15 seconds whether sound is playing or not, rendering my fireface 800 useless at a bad time as
I need to get a lot of work done.

I can record and post a sample of the stutters if needed

Thanks in advance for your time

Re: Fireface 800 audio drop out with 2012 21.5" IMAC

This might be a known problem with this exact computer model. Please Google.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've looked for hours on google and I couldn't find an answer to this very problem, which is why I decided to post my question on this forum hoping for help

Then sorry, this usually works and we are not aware of any issues.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Do you use the Thunderbolt port? I just talked with someone yesterday with the same problem. Disconnecting the additional monitor from the TB port allowed the FW port on the Mac to operate as expected.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

I've just tried switching my thunderbolt adapter for another one at the apple store downtown since all I have tried for the last two days didn't work, everything seems to be working fine now, not drop out for the last 20 minutes, let's hope it stays this way. Seller told me he'd never heard of this issue before with the adapter and that it was the first non working adapter he'd seen.

Thanks for your time