1 (edited by VeritasNL 2013-01-04 20:04:31)

Topic: I'm about to buy a RME Babyface, but unsure about the DPC latency

Hi folks from RME,

After my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 got broken again, I decided to go for a better brand that actually does deliver stability.

However, there are 2 things that hold me back for the moment:

- I'm thinking of buying a Lenovo Y500 with the Babyface, but I'm unsure about the whole DPC Latency thing. I can't find this laptop model in the 'tested' list on the RME site, and cannot install the DPC Latency checker in the store since it's running Windows 8. Can I be sure the Babyface will work stable on low latency settings?
- In the evening I'm producing with a Sennheiser HD600 often. I heard the Babyface doesn't have a really powerful headphone amp. Is this true? If so, will it be good enough to run the HD600?

Thanks in advance, hope to be a future customer! smile

Re: I'm about to buy a RME Babyface, but unsure about the DPC latency

> cannot install the DPC Latency checker in the store since it's running Windows 8.

Why is that not supposed to work?

Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond which is not the case in practice.

So you still get the relevant information (DPC spikes and too high values) when testing.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by VeritasNL 2013-01-15 20:32:41)

Hi Matthias,

I went to the store and made a snapshot of the DPC Latency checker on the Y500. It doesn't look very promising.

What do you guys think about this?

screenshot

You see the constant 1ms that MC mentioned, plus one higher spike. If ths can be eradicated, the system might be just fine.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I am in the exact position with the OP. I am considering purchasing Y500 and Babyface but I really have no clue whether I'd have problems with DPC Latency and whether they can be fixed. I really wish someone could help me with this as I obviously wouldn't want to waste my money on a laptop that would be useless for audio.

BTW, the guys from Resplendence have updated their Latency Monitor to version 5. Apart from more interesting measurements it is also Windows 8 compatible.

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have the Babyface  on Windows 8 Pro 64.. the sample rate is at 64, I really cannot complain.
I've used it with my DAW/ Sonar X2  and  many VST instruments loaded, no issues at all.

Very stable clean sound.

Cheers, JRM

JRM wrote:

I have the Babyface  on Windows 8 Pro 64.. the sample rate is at 64, I really cannot complain.
I've used it with my DAW/ Sonar X2  and  many VST instruments loaded, no issues at all.

Very stable clean sound.

Cheers, JRM

On a Lenovo Y500? Because that's the main part of my question. I have no doubt Babyface is a quality audio interface but I am worried about the DPC Latency on Y500...