Topic: 15 pins pcmcia cables: repair ?

Hi from France.

I am very happy with my Multiface 1 with pcmcia (no cardbus) card. The card fits either an old tablet-pc,  a desktop computer and a racked computer (with ricoh pci adapters). Awesome performance and sound quality in SAC (RML Labs) and guitar sims.

One of the drawbacks of switching the pcmcia card from one computer to the other is cable reliability: i have 2 cables, 1m and 4.5m. The latter has its shielding showing and left the red led lit yesterday. leaving me with only the 1 meter cable, which is supposed to stay inside the rack, not to be disturbed.

The multiface manual states :

The small 15-pin connector of the CardBus card is coded. Only the supplied special cable can be plugged in, and only when the metal sleeve is up. Any kind of violence when plugging in and out can cause damage to the CardBus card.

One connector kind of "grips" the card and does require some struggling to get released. This seems to qualify for "violence"...

Bottom line, cable troubles are here, only to get worse.

I tried to find spare cables, couldn't find any in Europe. Even if I had, the price is sort of incompatible with my struggling musician way of life.

So the question  would be : is there any way I can repair/replace the 15 pins connector on those cables ? This excellent sound card is here to stay : just upgraded all 3 pc's to W8 64 with promising results. Hence I can't think of any reason not to let it live for many more years, except for a cable issue.

One can still find used pcmcia cards with cable for around €100, which is awesome, but that doesn't really address the long term cable reliability issue. I would be willing to put some work in this, maybe get some special tools or supplies if needed. I'd enjoy the relief of connection reliability.

Any tip appreciated. Links to cable suppliers would be almost as good. I suppose you see my point.

Thanks, and happy new year to all here.
Roger.

Re: 15 pins pcmcia cables: repair ?

First you are talking about a CardBus card. Second those cables are still available everywhere. Contact your local distributor or do another web search for RME CardBus cable...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yeah, I had no idea the 6 pins card was the same. not very helpful but useless support still better than no support, even with some down talking attached...

Seems you just dumped the 15 pins connector and it's safer to just do that as welll. I'll just discard the card and go for standards. Shame on me to indulge with proprietary stuff in the first place.

I have been searching stuff online since the mid eighties, on BBS. Makes it a safe bet that your 15 pins cables are not to be found, certainly not "everywhere"?

Thanks for trying anyway;

Regards,
Roger.

Here, I found two sources for the 4.5m cable for you in Germany. For french retailers or possibly even direct purchase, please contact SCV.

http://rockshop.de/produktojs-0112258-1-aus.html
http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/RME- … 001875-000

Indeed this cable is not a standard cable. The current version of the Cardbus card (also the ExpressCard) uses a regular FW cable.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME