Topic: How to use ADAT on Fireface 800?

I was looking for help on something.

I have used a Fireface 800 for about three/four years now, but was never really familiar with it.  I am trying to expand my tracking abilities.  I purchased two Focusrite OctoPre's, which each have ADAT output.  For some reason, I can't get the inputs to register in Logic, or anything show up on the Fireface Mixer.  It looks like I can get both of them to sync momentarily, but not really sync all together.  How should I set this up?  How can I get the Fireface to receive them as inputs and pass them to Logic?

Currently set to "Bandwidth Limit - All Channels"

Fireface connected to Mac Pro - 800 to 800 connection.
Both OctoPre's connected via ADAT cable from OUTPUT of OctoPre to INPUT on Fireface.
(I have tried just connecting one with the output from the Fireface 800 going back to the input of the OctoPre, this didn't work)
I can register Mic input on the OctoPre, but no input on the Fireface mixer, and certainly nothing passed through to logic.

Like I said, I am not good with computers really, and the Fireface Mixer and Matrix have both really intimidated me.

2 (edited by marQs 2013-01-18 18:58:19)

Re: How to use ADAT on Fireface 800?

It's obvious you've got to get the Fireface in sync with the OctoPres properly. I haven't used those yet and there are different versions.

Octopre MKII has ADAT outs only + a Word Clock in but no out.

To sync it with the FF, you need the ADAT lightpipe of course and the wordclock. Set Octopre to slave mode. Everything should be fine with one of these - to sync the second, you'd need another wordclock connection. FF provides only one which is used already in the sceanario, Octopre has no WC out. An external master clock is the only solution that comes to my mind.

Octopre MKII Dynamic seems to have ADAT in + out.

Getting it in sync with the FF is no pain at all. You need to have 4 ADAT lightpipe cables + connect the first Octopre to ADAT in/out 1, the second to ADAT in/out2. FF is the master clock, Octos are slaves. No wordclock neccessarey. The ADAT protocoll is 'self-sync'ing'.

Check this in the Fireface Settings Window. If Input Status > ADAT1 + 2 show 'sync' (not just 'lock'), everything should be fine.

With 'All Channels' enabled your DAW should know about these channels. At least Cubase does automatically, don't know how this is managed in Logic.
Don't miss to TotalMix (the Fireface Mixer) some minutes of your time. Matrix is just another view of the same thing. The Mixer is easy to manage and allows greates possible freedom of routings. Enable 'Submix' up right in the Master section, that makes signal flow/assignemets pretty clear.