1 (edited by ebulb 2013-01-20 11:54:55)

Topic: UFX as a playback device ?

hi.. im interested in the possibility of using a UFX as a playback device for backing tracks alongside a band..  I would like to keep a computer out of the setup. Ideally i want to be able to put a thumb drive in the ufx, select a song and hit play with 6-8 seperate tracks playing back (ie: click track, keyboards, backing vocals, sound FX etc) and have all those tracks mixed internally with the UFX DSP mixer and routed to different outputs etc.. 

So im wondering is this hard to do ?  In order for the UFX to playback pre recorded tracks do they need to be in the same interleave format it records in ? Or can they remain as seperate .WAV files exported from a DAW ?  if they need to be interleaved format is this easy enough to create from most common DAW programs ?  If anyone knows any pitfalls i might encounter please let me know.

Re: UFX as a playback device ?

You need interleaved format for that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

ok.. do you know if it is easy to create the interleaved file from programs like pro tools/nuendo/reaper etc ? Or is there any specific application you know to convert standard .wav files into one interleaved file ?

4 (edited by all 2013-01-20 09:55:04)

either you DURECord all this playback straight from daw, directly to the unit, or use the free sound device wave agent freeware to do it, i think i did it. check it out. to do it means with your, say you got your 8 tracks of the same lenth (outside the daw as bounced files), and then assemble them with wave agent...

i hope i understood your question, and you, my response...

thanks... i was considering  the option to just play the backing sequences into the UFX from the DAW and record each track through DURec in realtime which i guess would work ?.. i briefly saw info on the wave agent application also which is more along the lines of what i was thinking.. But im curious if any DAW can actually export the same interleaved format that the UFX records ? im wondering can the RME batch converter utility convert back to interleaved format or does it only extract individual tracks out of that format ? I dont own the UFX yet so im just trying to work out how difficult this process may be..

ProTools can easily bounce an interleaved .wav with all your seperate tracks.

ok.. i've just done some deeper investigation and discovered that Sony Vegas (the program i use) allows you to export a multichannel file.. it wasnt obvious in the render settings really, but in the end it seemed to export 10 tracks in a single file.. then when i import the file back into vegas it sees all 10 individual tracks.. i also downloaded the RME batch converter and it successfully split the file back into the respective mono tracks. so based on that i am assuming the format Vegas rendered is the same as the format the UFX records.. If thats the case im all sweet to render the backing tracks directly from vegas timeline which couldnt be easier for what i needed... thanks everyone for the responses..