Topic: DAW and DVD/MP3 playback on windows - what to do best with FF UFX?

Guys,

I want to record/play music but so now and then take a listen to a DVD videolesson, youtube or a simple MP3.

With a Fireface UFX:
Finally I read on this forum that the DAW PC shall remain the DAW PC and all other stuff (DVD playing, printer,...) shall be somwhere else. logical to get the most out of the pro interface, which the RMEs all are...
Also some processors, synths come with their editors which are all USB which I'd like to have on the DAW machine and not seperately...if possible.

- How do you guys do? all on the same DAW machine...no issues?
- you all have 2 PCs ? one for DAW, one for the rest?
- how do you guys do backup ? all in different disks within the DAW PC or on a seperate HDD ? without Backup software?

any advice will be really appreciated. I'd like to keep things simple, but such that it works best, if 2 PCs are needed, so be it. As long as it works.

thank you, Klaus

Re: DAW and DVD/MP3 playback on windows - what to do best with FF UFX?

not everyboday responding at the same time, please ;-)))

Ok. got it. noone seems to have an issue with listening form DVD drives or from youtube or WMP with MP3's with your RME interfaces. Thats even cooler.

Re: DAW and DVD/MP3 playback on windows - what to do best with FF UFX?

In Windows route your system sounds to a pair of outputs. Route these outputs to your mains in TotalMix. That's all.

I have Cubase' outs on 1/2, Wavelab on 3/4, Melodyne Editor + standalone VSTis on 5/6, Windows sounds on the S/PDIFs (in the middle software playback row) - all routed to physical outs 1/2 (monitors).

Backups? One goes to separate internal HDD (daily or after major changes), one to an external drive (when I feel I should, 3 - 7 times/week).