Topic: What ADAT do you feed your Babyface?

I want to add an ADAT preamp or other ADATdevice to my Babyface. At Gearslutz, one person uses Focusrite isa one digital. Another uses ART TubeOpto. I'm thinking of Focusrite Liquid Sapphire 56 or OctoPre MkII Dynamic.  I've given up the idea of installing a HDSPe ExpressCard just to use my original Multiface. I don't think two versions of Totalmix would be good. I would consider RME's mic pres but they are pricy. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for RME's dedicated support to it's products, but paying nearing double the competition is too much for me. What are Babyfacers here using?

Re: What ADAT do you feed your Babyface?

Nothing wrong with adding an HDSP card, nothing to worry about...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Nothing wrong with adding an HDSP card, nothing to worry about...

If I do add the Totalmix from Multiface via an ExpressCard, how would Totalmix look? The Multiface would have more extensive routing but the Babyface has newer options and processing. Would the two combine on one screen? Or, should the outputs of the BF be routed to the inputs of the Multiface? This would also give me additional ADAT I/O. RME is unique in long term support and firmware updates. I tried using a Yamaha i88x which has very good mic pres, but it has been abandoned like so many other products that depend on updates. It goes in the recycle can.

Mixers will be totally separate and independent.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

There are lots of pres with ADAT outs that would serve you well.  You did not list a number of channels desired or your budget - two important criteria. 

As for continuous updates, I personally would not worry much about that.  This is far more important for an interface than just a pre with built in conversion.  As long as you get gain and a digital signal, there is not much to update.  I have used a Mackie Onyx 800F for many years for extra inputs via ADAT, and have never once felt the need to update it.

neirbod wrote:

There are lots of pres with ADAT outs that would serve you well.  You did not list a number of channels desired or your budget -

The Liquid Sapphire 56 is $839 so I guess that is the top of my budget. I would like to bring in 8 channels thru ADAT for drums and misc. The new Mackie Blackbird is lacking some of the connections the older 800F had.  I appreciate the suggestions.

After coming out of decision frenzy, I finally went between the expensive top end and the middle of the road group. I did not find any real negative comments on the Audient ASP008 so I ordered it from ODYSSEY PRO SOUND for $1400 - the best price I could find. One review mentioned the very good clock it uses so that should work well with the Babyface.

I have focusrite octapre`s in both my main rack (PC & hdsp9652) and in a small 2 u rack for use with my Babyface and laptop.
The focusrite are nice and clean sounding, and they don't break the bank!

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

9 (edited by oneartist 2013-01-28 15:19:28)

garry wrote:

I have focusrite octapre`s in both my main rack (PC & hdsp9652) and in a small 2 u rack for use with my Babyface and laptop.
The focusrite are nice and clean sounding, and they don't break the bank!

I read that the original octopre had better pres than the new octopre mk2. The price on the Lucient above was without the digital card. Odyssey said they would sell me one with the card for $1750 because of the confusion.

10 (edited by oneartist 2013-02-04 20:57:49)

I'm changing direction.  I have a Blackbird coming with ADAT for drums etc. For vocals and acoustic guitar,  I'm thinking of either a Audient Mico with ADAT out or a Black Lion Auteur 2 ch w/TRS analog. I know people use the Mico with the BF and I assume the BF's analog breakout cable will work with the Black Lion. Any experience with this here?

I ordered the Black Lion Auteur and a AKG 414 because I've always wanted one and I found one on EBAY for $550.