1 (edited by devasgtat 2013-02-05 19:56:23)

Topic: UCX vs UFX - same or different converters?

I have been using UCX for 6 months, and I have been extremely happy with this interface.
Recently I have been starting to think that maybe I might need more preamp inputs, and have been starting to consider upgrading to UFX.

Are the RME UFX converters better than the ones in UCX - should I expect it to sound better, or are the converters in these two units identical?

Re: UCX vs UFX - same or different converters?

The converters of the UFX are better in terms of tech specs. Whether or not they will sound "better" to you remains subjective - true to the source is the priority in both cases.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks a lot for your reply. Are the UCX converters still an improvement over Fireface 400 & 800?

I researched this a lot and couldn't find a straight answer.   From what I've been able to determine, the four mic preamp converters will have just slightly better performance, which may or may not be noticeable.   Everything else seems to be the same.  They are said to be considerably better than the 400/800.  But, again, this is only what I've gathered.   I wouldn't hesitate to get a UCX.  I was going to but found a UFX for the same price and went with that.

The real question about the double converters for the UFX mic channels is "was it worth it"?  The configuration should deliver a 3dB improvement in quantisation noise floor - from the spec (and my informal testing) it appears to deliver 2dB (an example of a "real world" result).  The improvement is in my view immaterial when using a mic gain of about 30dB or more (still no official spec of Ein in the manual).

What is rather more interesting is whether there has been any attempt at cancelling non-linearity.  If the pair of converters are connected in opposite phase and the resulting output subtracted, the effect is that a positive going input voltage is ramping up in one converter and ramping down in the other. If there is any systematic non-linearity in the process (especially even-order transfer or time response), then the generated components may cancel, resulting in a more linear (voltage-in/digital-value-out and voltage/time) transfer characteristic.  This improvement would probably be evident at any mic gain setting.  But it is not a proposition I can really test.

(A response along the "House of Cards" lines - "You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment." - is not unexpected.)

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum