Topic: Total newbie - How do I set up Fireface UC to Sonar X2?

Have just bought the Fireface UC having gotten fed up with my Firebox never connecting to Windows 7 64 bit, but I ma struggling to get any sound out of Sonar X2. I have managed to mess around with TotalMix and can hear the guitar through my monitors and headphones but no signal is going through Sonar. I am just using Mic Input 1 on on the front of the UC and outputs 1 and 2 on the back into my monitors. I have set up the audio channel in Sonar with Left Fireface Analogue as the input and the output as Fireface analogue 1212 but clearly I'm doing something really stupid. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks

Re: Total newbie - How do I set up Fireface UC to Sonar X2?

kebabeater wrote:

I ma struggling to get any sound out of Sonar X2.

I am not sure what you mean by the above statement or what exactly you are trying to do. A little more info would be helpful.  To start, can you see the incoming signal in Sonar when you arm the track?

neirbod wrote:
kebabeater wrote:

I ma struggling to get any sound out of Sonar X2.

I am not sure what you mean by the above statement or what exactly you are trying to do. A little more info would be helpful.  To start, can you see the incoming signal in Sonar when you arm the track?

No, there's no signal coming into Sonar

I think I've sussed my problem - I have a really new pc fitted with USB3 ports and it looks like the Fireface UC is incompatible with USB3 - is this correct?

USB 3 is backward compatible as long as you use USB 2 cables.  As long as you use the cable that came with the UC that should not be the problem. 

It might help if you post some screen shots of Total Mix and you Sonar project (both the track view and and audio settings).

6 (edited by spacealf 2013-02-18 20:02:16)

I have a Babyface, and this is how I set it up. Using RME drivers version 1.028 and Firmware of that version, 1.029 and firmware does not work the same and for me does not work at all for what I want. Version 1.028 does.

Pictures:

http://i46.tinypic.com/34evk09.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mm733o.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2py4xo2.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/24157go.jpg

In Sonar 7 which I have (should be the same) I set Recording Master on Audio in Menu General Tab to Analog 1 (1&2) and set Playback Master to Analog 3 (3&4).

On Audio Tab Drivers of Sonar, I set Input to Analog 1&2 and set Output only to Analog 3&4.

In TotalMixFX for my Babyface, I set Control Room to Ph3&4 for Main Output and bottom row from left to right is Analog 1 and Analog 2 which you can see the signal is playing back and the rest of the other outputs from the Babyface which are not being used at that time. Song is playing in Windows Media Player.

When I record, the top row is Analog 1 and Analog 2 and the faders are turned up to hear the output of the input of the recording.

Also in TotalMixFX in the software playback row (middle row) I have going from left to right - Analog1, Analog2, Ph3 (left all the way with panning - ??) and Ph4 (right all the way with panning - ??)(why it has to be done like that, I do not know. All I know is that having my computer speakers hooked up to the phone output of the Babyface, and Analog 1 & 2 hooked up to my stereo (or monitor speakers) now I can use the headphones out of the Babyface (call it ph 3)  and hear what I record in the headphones, turn down the computer speakers (or up) Ph 4 and also if I want, hear the recording or playback on my stereo speakers (monitor speakers if that is what you have).

Software Playback (middle row) is playing back on Ph3&4 because in Windows I have the default playback there set to Analog 3&4 while Recording is set to Analog 1&2.

Sorry cut down size of picture so it may not be clear in the TotalMixFX picture. I use in XP I think have both Analog 1 and Analog 3 checked in Sonar on the Advanced Tab of Audio Menu Item but not any more with Windows 7. Only can have one output checked in Sonar, and only had one checked in Input, so that Input if using others like ADAT I guess would have to be changed. I do not know that for sure, since I do not record with AS1 or 2 and ADAT so far but with only Analog 1 &2.

Only way I can get both the headphones of the Babyface and if I want Monitor Speakers to work.

Version RME Drivers 1.029 do not seem to allow that anymore, or else I can not get it to. (and I tried and rolled back my drivers to version 1.028 with the firmware changed also even though the same number.

Now I am happy, but will not use driver version 1.029 and I don't care about Ipad.

Have to go, wasted 5-6 hours trying to figure out what I am doing with this stuff while my new computer (windows 7) was something acting up with power switch also the other day. Everything is working as of now, I am happy, I have work to do, instead of downloading drivers and firmware that does not seem to work for me (1.029 version).

But thanks for trying anyway RME. Just getting a little disgusted with all the driver versions lately and almost went back to version 1.025. Between trying to switch to a new computer from the old one, I am done with this bit of craziness.
:-)

> Analog1, Analog2, Ph3 (left all the way with panning - ??) and Ph4 (right all the way with panning - ??)(why it has to be done like that, I do not know.

Obviously these are mono channels that have to be send to the correct output to form  a correct stereo signal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

8 (edited by spacealf 2013-02-19 20:04:44)

Yes, I run "free" on the right hand side instead of "submix" up there on the Babyface, and yes it is for having sterero since I guess I am running actually "mono" instead of having the "stereo" one fader both channels on one fader graphic.

But Windows 7 is still a little weird to me unlike XP in Sonar in which I (have to check on the old computer) I had both Analog 1(&2) and Analog 3 (&4) checked for output-ting from Sonar unlike Windows 7 where I guess I can have only one checked in the output on the Advanced tab of the Audio menu item (testing the audio with other drivers) and all of that in the one picture.

But it works now, the way I had it work before, and Class Compliant and Ipad whatever Ipod stuff I will leave to someone else.

In other words Windows 7 may be 64-bit and faster with a newer computer but with XP in 32-bit it all works the same sound-wise anyway. Well it works! (for what I want and use it for).
:-)

And back to something maybe called music.
Have a Nice Day there MC.

well, after all that babbling stuff, I had in XP, Windows output on Analog 1&2 (like Windows Media Player), and Sonar output on 3&4, in Windows 7 they output on the either one of the outputs but not both. To me, XP is better then in that aspect of using a DAW.

9 (edited by spacealf 2013-02-28 06:14:58)

Correcting some stuff from the other day. Ah, still finding out about Windows 7 and too many windows (for me) compared to XP. Anyway, usually have speaker icon (from Windows 7) on taskbar, and just clicking it brings up all outputs (or inputs) a person can have on the computer, but again only can use one output at a time in Sonar 7 (which ought to be similiar to Sonar X2 whatever). Right clicking on the speaker icon of Windows on the taskbar, a person can mark all sound options there (different windows). Pictures below:

http://i47.tinypic.com/20jjr89.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/2e3o7pd/6

The thing I had wrong though was TotalMixFX when recording and hearing it through the headphones directly out of the Babyface (or computer speakers if so inclined) but also can hook up the Analog Output cables to a stereo or powered monitored speakers and with my stereo I can also hook up headphones there if I want it louder, but the Babyface direct headphone out is loud enough for me (running 32 ohm headphones).

Ah, but on TotalMixFX on the top row (hear the input into Sonar and of course one has to set the inputs and outputs in Sonar on each track to record if not just wanting to hear the input into the audio/interface), the top row is not different than earlier drivers and on top it states Analog 1 & 2, and on the bottom of the fader graphic - is HeadPhones (or Phones) 3&4 for that. Control room is Main output to Headphones 3&4, and Sonar is output in the Options Audio Menu item - Analog 3 (1) for Playback timing master and on the output page from the picture the other day.

This makes the Babyface headphones output work with headphones marked with the Main Output to Phones in the Control Room and also sends the signal to Analog 1 & 2 for output (in the bottom row left) to stereo or monitor powered speakers if wishing both, one or the other.

Total MixFX picture then is a little different (because of top row):

http://i45.tinypic.com/zmld9c.jpg

if anyone else is confused, well, I am usually confused, just a fact of life anymore.
I think it is Windows 7 though that is doing it anymore though.
fryingpan

Sorry did not have any sound playing but the other picture of TotalMix shows that and all of that.

This works, because I duh recorded some tracks today, and alas at first I had no sound with the input into Sonar, and then I discovered that I had to change the top row of TotalMixFX on the bottom of the fader to Ph 3&4 to hear the sounds in the headphone out jack of the Babyface.

I leave now.