Topic: NID (New Interface Day) RME Babyface

I have just received my brand new RME Babyface yesterday! Already used it a bit and so far so good!

However I did hit a few stones during the installation. I'm using a late 2011 Macbook Pro with OSX Mountain Lion (latest version) and plugged in the unit via USB as instructed in the quickstarter guide. Then I inserted the CD with the driver installation and run the .pkg file to install the drivers. As opposed to what was said in the quickstarter guide (that I wouldn't need to reboot my laptop) I was indeed forced to reboot upon installation of the drivers. The installer gave me no other choice but to reboot.

As I rebooted I got this gray Apple screen with text in a couple different languages saying that my computer had restarted because of a problem... then after a long time booting I got into a kernel panic before I could see the login screen again.. eventually it kept restarting until all was well. At this point I removed the CD from the drive and proceeded to install the latest drivers from RME's website.

So far so good but the installation wasn't as smooth as I would have expected.

So far I've only managed to quickly connect my guitar to the Instrument input of the babyface, and fire up Reaper with a VST guitar modelling (brainworx) with a wet monitoring track. I found the latency to be acceptable although noticeable. I wonder if it's possible to improve on this as I'm using Reaper with default settings but I suppose I should ask about in the Cockos forums instead smile

Probably will have more questions in the near future... but so far I'm pleased with the unit!