Topic: bypassing totalmix

Hi

Newb question......I wasn't able to get my RME UFX to work without using totalmix. How do I work directly from Logic to RME?

Regards,
Rich

Re: bypassing totalmix

(Is that a name I know from GS?)

Inputs don't go through TotalMix.  Outputs do, but there are default presets in TotalMix that route DAW outs 1:1 to physical outs, effectively "bypassing" it.

TotalMix is a key feature of RME interfaces but needs careful and close study of the TotalMix section of the manual.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

TM FX - Options - Reset Mix - Total Reset.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi there. Yes I am on gearlsutz but thought it better to come here to suss my new UFX.....I really would like to get to grips with totalmix but I have sessions looming and I am struggling wit the basics...headphone inputs took a while, internal preamps didn't seem that amazing. I have a BLA Motu 896HD as reference.

I really need to be able to work on the headphone levels and preamp levels without fiddling around. When I get comfy with the unit, I will then start plugging my own preamps into it and then learn totalmix. If there was someone to teach me one on one and quickly, I'd pay. I visited some youtube tutorials but found that they themselves require a load of fiddling arounnd, as things don't seem to fall exactly as the tutorials say. And then I get lost in the software, wondering what the tutorial is talking about!

If you want to go offline and give me a situation you would like to fix, I'll try to help.  Just bear in mind the timezone differences ...

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

richgilb wrote:

If there was someone to teach me one on one and quickly, I'd pay.

Where do you live?  There may be an experienced user near you who would be willing to teach you how to use Total Mix.  It is not hard once you get used to it, but as you observed it can be confusing at first.

7 (edited by richgilb 2013-03-15 13:46:45)

MC wrote:

TM FX - Options - Reset Mix - Total Reset.

Did that but something is still stopping the signal in my cans. I quit totalmix...the signal is showing on the DAW and on the UFX display but not my cans. My other interface did not do this?

Tried both phones outputs? You might be confusing them...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

sure have tried both....are there any instructions anywhere on how to get a signal in your headphone?!

Why don't you post a screen shot of your TM mixer.  It may help identify the issue if you just have something routed incorrectly.

Progress....so you have to highlight your phones 9/10 or 11/12in the control room so they are a light grey. Then you are adjusting the mix for those phones. Simple huh? It was logical to me that you would just fade up the headphones in the control room and hear something.

That one thing that has baffled me for the last 4 sessions, resulting in me going back to my MOTU each time and wondering how much I could get for my RME. So now I have latency-free dual headphone individual mixes and can return to my semi-comfort zone of logic.....and how to route the logic tracks into the software playback area. here we go again.

12 (edited by neirbod 2013-03-15 17:31:58)

If you mix in Logic, you can mix everything to a master bus, then within Logic route that bus to any of the available output channels.  You will then see the signal in TM in the middle row (the Playback channels).   From there, you highlight whatever analog output channel (bottom row) you want to work with (e.g., your headphones, your mains) and adjust the faders in the Playback row.  It is a bit confusing at first, but makes a lot of sense once you work with a little.

One slightly confusing thing is that most DAW software will list "outputs" as options, but this does not correspond directly to "analog outs" on the UFX.  Instead is corresponds to the playback row.  This allows a lot of flexibility as you can send your mixes (or stems) from Logic to any hardware output on the UFX at whatever level you need.