Topic: Reamping with the Babyface

Hey guys,

I know this question has been addressed before but before I try it I want to be dead certain that I won't damage my Babyface (or my amp).

In short I want to reamp a DI track using the Babyface. My amp accepts an unbalanced, high impedance 1/4" input. The babyface has 2 types outputs 1) 2 XLR balanced line outs 2) 2 TRS unbalanced headphone out (according to the website).

Which ones should I use for reamping ? I suppose I should use the headphones out since it is unbalanced. I just need to keep the levels low. But since it's a stereo output, would the following cable be appropriate for the task ? http://www.procab.be/ProductInfoDetail.aspx?pCD=CLA721
Or could I just plug in a standard guitar cable ?
Then I would have to split the signal in Totalmix full left / right according to which of the two ends I connect to the amp..

Thanks for any hints!

Re: Reamping with the Babyface

Or could I use this guy from one of the XLR outs into my amp ? This would be cool cause I already have this cable to connect my amp's fx-loop send to my babyface XLR in and use cabinet impulses

Klotz M1MP1N0200 XLR to Jack unbalanced

http://shop.klotz-ais.com/cgi-bin/quick … n=&p8=

Well looks like I just went ahead and tried it. I grabbed an XLR female balanced to jack unbalanced and connected it to the Babyface's Line Out. Then I slowly brought the fader up to a level when it started overloading (i.e. when I started hearing unwanted distortion in the amp) and then lowered it again until it was smooth.

This is the result http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVHgbLAiIdo

It sounds good to me... wonder if I even need a reamp box in this case.

Babyface is still alive.. so is the amp.. dunno if this can be damaging in the long run if done too much

4 (edited by dcrhythm 2013-03-01 19:04:36)

The Babyface output impedance isn't a match for the high impedance of a guitar input, so at best I'd think you'd get a very skewed tone from what the guitar direct into the amp would sound like. If your amp has a line in (e.g. effect loop return) that might be a better option. But you should probably get a reamp box to convert the Babyface out back to high impedance if you're going to stick with the amp's guitar input. I have the Little Labs Redeye 3D which is awesome. There are also DIY options for a lot less money if you're cool with a little assembly.

dcrhythm wrote:

The Babyface output impedance isn't a match for the high impedance of a guitar input

That is technically wrong. The input of a guitar amp together with the connected guitar form a network of capacitors and inductors, causing a change in the frequency response (read sound) of the passive pickup. The part with the most influence here is the high impedance input.

Connecting a low impedance output to such a high impedance guitar input or connecting a medium/high impedance output to a high impedance guitar input wouldn't change anything. The electric output stages are no coil (inductor) , therefore the sound stays identical.

The 'real' sound that the guitar input would have produced is still there - it happens when connecting the guitar to the Babyface or any other high impedance input.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

so you're saying that if I'd use a re-amp box I'd be hard pressed to hear a difference if the high impedance of of the amp's input is what affects mostly the dry guitar tone.

I would still love to try a re-amp box to check how different it sounds though