Topic: Input gain in Babyface's Totalmix

Is it normal that I can adjust the input gain on the Babyface hardware inputs in Totalmix FX only by 3 db steps?

I can Input 0, 3, 6 dbs etc... but not 17 db or  14.5

Totalmix FX Version says 0.989, I am using latest Babyface driver  1.029

Regards, Mikael

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II

Re: Input gain in Babyface's Totalmix

Hardware limited...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It may be impertinent, but the above exchange really does prompt me to ask. 

What price difference would it have made to the BabyFace if RME had elected to use the full-spec PGA2500 rather than the reduced-spec PGA2505?   The choice would not appear to have required change in any other components.  (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

I can understand that it may have cut across, say, the UC/UCX, marketing-wise.  Considering the 3dB vs 1dB increments, the 5dB worse noise and the 5db reduction in maximum gain, we are not arguing about sheep stations, performance-wise.  But the improvement in performance at what, (based on publicly available information), appears to be a couple dollars increase in component cost (at the 1000+ rate), suggests some interesting design discussions must have occurred between the marketers and the engineers..

However, one cannot change history.  But maybe the BabyFace II?

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

MC wrote:

Hardware limited...

Thank you for the clarification.
Regards, Mikael

2 DAWs, each C 7/64, W7/64, Dell Prec. T5500 (2 x X5690), 2 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II / Octamic II