1 (edited by sumiruna 2013-02-27 12:11:01)

Topic: Best way to increase the number of analogue outputs connected to UFX?

Hi,

I'm about to get a new mixing console that has a lot more outboard channels.

So, I'm in the process of looking into the options available for increasing the number of analogue outputs connected to my UFX.. how many more analogue outputs are possible on top of the 8 I have? Really Im looking to get at least another 16, hopefully 32, if not too much extra expenditure.

Any suggestions of options or ways to achieve this will be much appreciated.. (Sorry if this is a noob question... Im not so experienced with this)

Thank you

Re: Best way to increase the number of analogue outputs connected to UFX?

The RME M16-DA would be an ideal solution.
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_m32da.php

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for your reply... are there any cheaper options to achieve a similar result... and I'm just trying to get my head around the connections.. what connections do I need to utilise to get the maximum possible number of analogue outputs? and is that 28? Or can there be more?

I read on the web page that 

- AES/EBU: The UFX provides a professional AES/EBU I/O working up to 192 kHz.
- ADAT: Two 8-channel ADAT I/Os expand the UFX by 16 channels available simultaneously with the analog channels. They can be used to connect two 8-channel AD/DA converters, mixing consoles, or to insert effects devices. Both I/Os support sample rates with up to 192 kHz (S/MUX4). Using two external converters like the ADI-8 QS, the UFX will provide 28 analog inputs and outputs, 20 with a sample rate of 96 kHz, and still 16 at 192 kHz.
- SPDIF: The second ADAT I/O can be used as optical SPDIF I/O, making the UFX connections even more flexible.

Thanks again, the console that I have coming is likely to have up to 30 channels, maybe more, depending on the number of stereo modules I can get with it. So Im just trying to get an idea of what I need to do and to make sure the UFX is the right interface for the job.

Many thanks

The M16-DA uses the two ADAT ports with 8 outputs each, converting digital to analog. Other DA converters with ADAT inputs will also work.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, thanks.. Is an extra 16 analogue outputs the maximum that I can add onto the UFX?

2 more with AES/EBU. That will give you 30, i.e. 12 analog, 16 via ADAT, 2 AES/EBU.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME