Topic: ASIO or Hardware level in Digicheck

Hi,

I just installed my Fireface UC (USB), and try to get it to talk to my audio measurement software, so far unsuccessfully.
TotalMix works as advertised so the Fireface talks to the system.
I tried to send an external 1kHz into a Fireface analog input and see if Digicheck sees it.
Curiously, if I set the Digicheck Input Device Setup to ASIO, it does not see the signal, but when I set it to Hardware level it does.
Does that point to a specific problem?

thanks,

jan didden
Linear Audio

Re: ASIO or Hardware level in Digicheck

Windows or Mac? UC in PC or AP mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by janneman01 2013-03-20 10:20:14)

Hello Matthias,

Win XP SP3. I have problems finding out whether it is in PC or Mac mode. The double tap on the rotary encoder doesn't seem to give the info as mentioned in the manual.
What I DO see is that when I press and hold the rotary encoder there is an indication that toggles between 'on' and 'off'.
I do remember that during installation the found hardware was shown as 'Fireface xx Win' so apparently it is in PC mode, no?

jan didden

Did some more tests with the toggling between AP and PC, and I would say it does toggle every 20 or so times I tried...
If on AP, it shows up in window's device manager as 'mac', if on PC it shows up in the soundcard category, so this seems to be OK.
With the older firmware (1.15 iirc) this did work as it should, but since I upgraded to 1.17 (iirc) it appears flaky.

jan

Hello Matthias,

Any ideas why Digicheck doesn't see the Fireface in ASIO mode?
I'm kind of stuck here....

jan didden

Made some progress!

Downloaded & installed RME ASIO Test Tool. That told me I was missing .net 3.5 framework.
Installed that, and then ASIO Test Tool DID show some activity in the channels when I inserted an external signal.

Re-installed Digicheck, that now shows external input signal, but with an anomaly: in some channels, when I remove the external signal, as in actually removing the input cable, Digicheck shows a residual input signal of -30dB. What the??

My audio test software (Virtins, ARTA) still don't see the RME...

jan

I fear you use outdated drivers and DIGICheck. What are your version numbers?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I don't think so Matthias; I have Digicheck 5.51 and driver 1.0.30.0 dated 19 feb 2013.

jan

-30 dB could be DC from the converters. Is that a brand new unit? Tried different power supply?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I bought it new but it has been sitting on the shelf for probably almost a year waiting for me to clear a zillion other projects.
I will try another power supply tomorrow.

jan

Made some progress!

I connected another power supply I had laying around, 12V/3A instead of the stock 12V/2A.
The -30dB residual on Digicheck now is gone, so it *could* have been DC offset from a flaky power supply, or maybe the stock unit is under-specified?

The two measurement software suites I'm using (Virtins and ARTA) do now see the input channel signal, and ARTA can generate an output signal, but it is not steady, often have to stop/start to get the right input.

This certainly isn't PnP!

jan