Topic: firewire ports broken

Hey,

I have an older FF800 and the ports have broken off inside of the unit from plugging/unplugging them and no longer work.

I know these older units don't have the chassis mounted Firewire ports.
I brought it in to Long and McQuade and they told me it would be an expensive fix as I'm out of warranty and they would have to send it in for repair to Synthax.
I'm curious how hard of a fix this is. Is it a quick solder or a bit more complex.
and where to get parts from.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Re: firewire ports broken

So judging by the lack of replies I should just switch sound cards and stop promoting RME as I have been for the last 3 1/2 years.
I'm curious as to whether there has been any compensation for the shoddy physical design of this unit. I'm pretty sure that most people that have purchased an FF800 are not the type to use excessive force while plugging in the cables.
Perhaps a courteous extension of warranty???
I was quoted $800 + to have this fixed which in turn makes me just want to buy another unit all together.

Hello,

Who gave you this estimate? If the unit is sent to our US service center, this should not exceed $200, unless there are other issues to address.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

4 (edited by Laurence Payne 2013-03-28 01:34:50)

Firewire sockets are cheaply available, including more robust ones with a chassis mounting.  Only you can say if your technical skills are up to assessing any physical damage to the board, fitting a replacement, and modifying the connection arrangements if required.

It shouldn't be too hard to "hot-wire" a socket to check if everything is still working electrically before setting off on case modifications etc.