Topic: RME UFX hardware upgrades!?.

Hi.

I´m looking to buy RME UFX. In search of this idea, I stepped with this:

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/content.php?p=46

It´s a hardware upgrade for UFX, that claims:

" We modify the UFX's analog path to improve noise performance and signal response. We also modify the way the converters are configured and filtered to improve converter frequency response. It enables tracks to stack better with fewer weird phase issues, and also brings to light those subtle little transients & nuances previously lost in the mix."

Any experiences with this?.

Re: RME UFX hardware upgrades!?.

I don't have an experience with BLA mod of the UFX, but I've heard BLA mod of other units (M-Audio Profire 2626, Behringer ADA8000).

Personally, I wouldn't do the mod for my UFX because 1) quality of UFX's AD/DA and preamps are EXTREMELY good, and I don't believe there is much 'room' for improvements, 2) I would be in trouble if anything goes wrong and the unit needs services. Even after warranty expiration, manufactures probably refuse to do service if the unit has been modded by somebody they don't know.

With that said, I think modding $200-$400 units like Profire or ADA8000 would be the most beneficial in terms of improvement/cost, and I liked when I experienced Profire's preamps were noticeably better than my stock Profire. If they are broken for any reasons, the damage will be minimal because of their original cost.

Well, besides warranty, people at Gearslutz states there´s a huge difference between before / after, regarding spacial representation, mix, reproduction, etc... Makes me think about getting Aurora 16 instead of UFX, if I have to spend extra $700 to get the RME sound something in the way to Lavry...

I would seriously doubt that any of the people who have had units modified this way and now post about it on GS have actually undertaken a scientifically correct comparison between a stock device and the modified one. So do expect a good bit of expectation bias in these statements... Mod cost a lot of money, so it just has to sound better afterwards... HeadScratch

Please discuss such mods on GS or elsewhere.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME