Topic: Using Babyface with PC + USB MIDI Keyboard (and more...)

Hi,

I am considering the Babyface to replace my MOTU 828 MkII (Firewire) for live usage (soft synth & backing tracks/loops). I want something much smaller to lug around though so I can leave the 828 at home in the studio rack. I just have a couple of questions which I hope you folks here can help me out with;

1. Will there be any performance impact by using the Babyface with my Win7/x64 laptop when also using a USB MIDI keyboard (Axiom 61)? e.g. will there still be enough power and no degradation in latency for playing soft synths?

2. What outputs will I see in my VST host (Brainspawn Forte) which I can assign as outputs for my Main Host Bus? e.g. Will I see;
AN1/2
AN1
AN2
AN3/4
AN3
AN4
ADAT1/2 etc?

3. And following on from above. I assume these Babyface outputs will be represented in TotalMix FX in the middle row (software outputs) accordingly. Is this correct?

Ideally I want to be able to route the Backing Tracks/Loops to the Main Babyface Outputs (Main L/R) and the soft synth to the Additional Outputs (Phone L) and a Click to Additional Outputs (Phone R) but to provide a mix in Phone R of Click, and Main L/R (backing tacks with click).

Is this possible?

My other option is MOTU's Track16 which would be able to do the above due to the way the Phone Outs work but keen to use RME due to the latency and DAC.

Thanks in advance smile

Re: Using Babyface with PC + USB MIDI Keyboard (and more...)

After searching a few other sites and videos I'm pretty sure I can do what I need with the Babyface so unless anyone lets me know that I can't within the next 21 hours (when I hit the stores) an RME Babyface is heading into my pocket smile

1) No, it should not cause any issues
2) Yes, could be slightly different as each app can name channels differently.
3) Yes, correct.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Poifect :-)

Thanks!