Topic: Triple speed recordings?

I’ve got a new UFX, and I just mixed down my first song using it, and burned it to a CD. (I use Cubase 6 on a PC, which is connected to the UFX via USB.)

What I heard when I listened to the CD was my song at what must have been triple speed, because I sounded like Alvin the Chipmunk on speed, my guitar sounded like a harpsichord being played at warp speed, and the 3:30+ second song was over in just over a minute.  It actually sounded pretty cool, but I’m wondering whether the setting that I need to adjust is in the TotalMix software or in Cubase?

Re: Triple speed recordings?

Totalmix is not involved in this process at all. You did not mention how you burned the song to CD. The problem could be either in Cubse (the bouncing process) or the actual burning process... But I'm afraid this forum can't really help with this issue.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Oh okay. I burned it to a CD using Cakewalk, just like I've done for hundreds of prior recordings.  It just seems incredibly coincidental that this never happened when I was using my prior audio interface, and that the very first time it happened was also the first time that I had used the UFX.

Well, the audio interface is not part of the process - neither of bouncing, nor of CD burning. So you will need to analyze the process a bit, and try to reproduce it. Check the bounce file that you created in Cubase, play it in Media Player or so. All correct? Have both the pitch and speed changed, i.e. as if playing a tape at higher speed?
How did you listen to the CD, on the computer as well? How does it sound on a regular CD player?
Is this a song that mainly consists of MIDI instruments etc. or is there wave audio material as well?
When you burn one of your previous projects now, will that work ok?

Etc...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I think I figured out what the problem is.  Previously, I've always recorded with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz, but when I got the UFX, I decided to try recording at 192 kHz. However, I didn't realize that a separate process for converting the sample rate from 192 to 44.1 would then be required. I think that failing to convert the sample rate is what caused the high speed, high pitch playback on the CD.

But from what I've read online since yesterday, there seems to be a lot of disagreement about how much improvement there would actually be from recording at a higher sample rate - some say it's worth it, but there are also lots of opinions saying that there's only a tiny difference in terms of sound quality with the higher sample rates.  And in addition, there seems to be some concern about a potential loss of sound quality resulting from the conversion process itself.  Unfortunately, I didn't come across anything that seemed definitive in terms of resolving the issue - just a lot of folks putting in their two cents' worth.

use your ears to judge for yourself

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB