1 (edited by gtodd876 2013-04-05 21:08:49)

Topic: Trying to solve Pops and Clicks with UCX and MBP

I have been recording a band 12-15 hours days since Saturday and we have had intermittent problems with pops and crackles happening randomly throughout the audio tracks recorded. Here is my setup:

MBP 15" 2.6 GHz i7 - 8 GB 1600 MHz DD3 - Mid 2012 - Model Identifier MBP 9,1
OSX 10.8.3
Apple SSD 250 GB
External Discs - Seagate 2 TB - Firewire 800 Connection & Seagate Go Flex - Thunderbolt connection

UCX - firmware 117, Totalmix .972

Logic 9.1.8

Monitoring direct through Totalmix so software monitoring in Logic is disabled - buffer size set to 1024

Here is what I have tried so far to troubleshoot:

- Made sure wifi and bluetooth are disabled

- Disabled Notification center

- Remove the word clock connection and adat connection to Focusrite Octopre LE (new piece of gear I got for this week of recording)

- Update OS to 10.8.3

- Run projects off of seagate 1tb drive with thunderbolt connection instead of the 2TB firewire 800 that is plugged into a UAD satellite DSP piece ( I have not used any UAD plugs yet on tracks, just trying to record tracks without pops and crackles first)

- RUN Projects off of internal SSD drive instead of external disc

-When I close Logic and reopen the program the problem seems to go away for a short time only to come back again eventually

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We will still be recording today and tomorrow. Couple of us took off work this week to record as much as possible so it would be nice to get a couple days of problem-free tracking done. It's definitely a good lesson learned.

Thank you very much for any time or help provided!

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX

Re: Trying to solve Pops and Clicks with UCX and MBP

Try to run the application called "Systemload" with each core being taxed at 10-20%.

Try running with and without external display or try switching GPUs via an application called "gfxCardStatus".

Try different USB ports on the Macbook Pro, some components share internal hubs.

You use the UCX via USB? 0.972 sounds like an outdated driver 1.72. Current version is 1.78 (with TM FX 0.989).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by gtodd876 2013-04-06 03:36:29)

Thank you Timur and MC for the quick replies ! I will update my Totalmix immediately and then try Timur's suggestions one at a time to see if I can isolate the culprit.

Sorry forgot to add the info that yes, I am using USB with the UCX.

www.toddbass.com
Macbook pro i7 15" (mid 2012) 8 gigs ram, Fireface UCX