Topic: Tunderbolt HD with Windows7 (Bootcamp)

Hello,

I'm running Win7 (64bit) audio-optimized via Bootcamp on a new MBPR.
As you might know, there are 2 Thunderbolt, 2 USB 3.0 and one SD Card slot connections built in. One USB port is withdrawn for the Babyface, the other runs my SafeNet Key. So, no USB is left for any other device. Unlike the fact that there would be a possibility in connecting a USB Hub (up to now I didn't find one that would fit) and running the Babyface plus Safenet/USB Device on one port (I don't know if that's a good idea), I've been looking for a choice to integrate the TB connections or built-in SD Card slot.
My problems are as follows:
1. SD card isn't IMO the best choice for large track counts (12x 44.1/32bit Mono Audio maximum)
2. with connected TB -> Adapter -> FW 800 LaCie HD my system won't boot up into bootcamp mode ("alt"), so there is no way for me running it under Win7.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you.

Re: Tunderbolt HD with Windows7 (Bootcamp)

USB hub should work, because the RME driver reserves the bandwidth necessary for operation. Of course this always depends on the other stuff plugged in with it. I am currently running my Babyface via the built in USB 3.0 hub of my Dell display, which is plugged into a USB 2.0 port of my 2011 Macbook Pro. The hub also serves a Bluetooth stick and card reader.

SD cards offer lots of bandwidth these days, but I fear that the built in SD card reader only uses USB 2.0, which limits its bandwidth. Still 12 x 44100 x 32 = 16.15 mb/s only, so USB 2.0 is plenty enough.

The TB -> FW Lacie HD issue likely is an issue of the HD itself. What happens when you press ALT while the HD is connected? Do you power the HD its own power-supply? What happens when you plug it in after Windows is running?

Hi Timur,
thanks for your answer.
Well, the LaCie HD is running with no extra power supply. It's powered only with the Thunderbolt/FW port.
On the Mac-side it's recognized whether hot-plugged or not. I've read that this issue is Mac-only, Windows7 doesn't support hot-plugging with Thunderbolt at all.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?view … cale=en_US

"What happens when you press ALT while the HD is connected?"

That's what I was talking about: My MBP freezes and won't load the bootcamp menu (where I can normally choose the bootable HDs)

You can hot-plug Firewire devices with the TB-FW adapter on Windows, you just cannot hotplug the adapter itself. So keep the adapter in and plug in the HD later when Windows already booted up.

I would try to run the HD via an extra power-supply. TB delivers a maximum of 10 watt and the TB-FW adapter is only specified for 7 watt, FW deliver up to 40 watt.

Hey Timur,
again-what-learnt. :-)
Thanks a lot. It works now. My fault in thinking!