Topic: Expresscard to add another USB port for MacBook Pro + Fireface UC

Question about using an expresscard to provide another USB port.

- Is there any advantage in using an expresscard with a USB port over the existing USB ports on a laptop?

- Is there a benefit because it is not on a USB bus sharing bandwidth with other internal & external USB devices?

I ask because I have an older MacBook Pro (Early 2008) & it has never worked well with my Fireface UC. I get frequent IOAudio errors & occasional associated dropouts.

Thanks for any insight.

Re: Expresscard to add another USB port for MacBook Pro + Fireface UC

USB Ports on ExpressCards are usually coming from the internal hub as well (ExpressCard includes a USB line). So you'd have to find an ExpressCard that comes with its own USB chipset (USB 3.0 cards for example).

Are you sure you mean early 2008, not late 2008? Doesn't the early 2008 still use PCMCIA cards?

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

:-)

My Mac is an early 2008 & does indeed have expresscard.

When I upgraded from my old Powerbook I had to buy an RME expresscard to use my Multiface with it. Eventually I replaced the Multiface with the Fireface UC.

Here are the specs:
MacBook Pro4,1
A1260
MB134LL/A
2.5 GHz
Manufactured: February 2008 - October 2008

I started using Macbooks with the late 2008, so my question was of the category "I don't really know". ;-)

5 (edited by oblique strategies 2013-04-17 21:46:29)

Are you still using your 2008 MacBook?

I haven't tried CoolBook yet, but I recall you are an advocate of the app. Guess it's about time I gave it a try...:cool:

Nope, got a 2009 MBP (still heavily flawed), then a 2010 MBP (much less flawed, but still problematic with electric mass and the GPU didn't properly support 30" displays), then a 2011 MBP (GPU fixed, same flaws with electric mass). Still using the 2011 MBP, one reason being the ExpressCard slot and that the next major CPU/chipset change is due this year.

Timur Born wrote:

Nope, got a 2009 MBP (still heavily flawed), then a 2010 MBP (much less flawed, but still problematic with electric mass and the GPU didn't properly support 30" displays), then a 2011 MBP (GPU fixed, same flaws with electric mass). Still using the 2011 MBP, one reason being the ExpressCard slot and that the next major CPU/chipset change is due this year.

What is the 'electric mass' you are referring to, & what are the associated problems?

And, while I'm at it, what's the next CPU/chipset?