Topic: FF400 audio drop caused by change in electric network.

Hello,

My Fireface 400 is working OK, until someone in the next room turns the light off (or on)... there is 10sec audio dropout with a small audio glitch after 5 secs of silence. This issue have been observed on 3 different mac pro devices and in different locations. I am personally using MacBookPro5,5 with external power source (internal is the same issue). Does anyone have similar experience or can offer me some solution?

Thank you.

Re: FF400 audio drop caused by change in electric network.

Which firmware version is in in the FF 400?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

v3.14

That's the driver version...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh, : ) sorry. 1.71 ... I've done firmware update some time ago.

Ok, then I have no direct solution. The static disturbs either the clock circuitry or triggers the mute state in the unit. Looks like your location needs some serious rewiring and proper grounding in the electric power cabling...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well, it is possible, but I have experienced the drop-outs in different locations. Anyway, I'll try some external hardware for grounding and protection. Thank you for help!

A.

Hi,

Almost the same issue with my FF800 (firmware version 2.77)

Powering on a device in the same room may sometimes disconnect the FF800 from host, even though computer and FF800 are plugged into a UPS.
I've experienced this issue in different locations too

So I take care to turn on my computer and my FF800 last.

There was an article in SOS a few years back, where the same issue was there on a protools system. In that case it were wrongly wired XLR cables. It might be a good idea to disconnect everything from the FF except a headphone and the computer and see what happens. Even try  a laptop on battery if needed. Then start adding connections and see where the issue starts. Or could be the FF power adapter too.
Good luck!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

Thank you for your advice but the issue rarely occurs.
It will be hard to determine for sure if the wiring is involved.

Adamdekan, maybe your issue more frequently occurs, so please tell us if unplugging XLR's fixes this issue.

Thanks

i had this identical issue a couple of years ago, it came down to a bad FW cable!! at all costs, avoid the Belkin 'Flat' FW cables. they have _paper_ for insulation hmm

soundcloud.com/wndfrm

Thank you, cloudburst. You're certainly right.
I don't remember having this issue since I changed my FW cable a few months ago.

It may also be worth to check whether it happens when the Macbook runs on battery and if it makes a difference when the 2-prong vs. 3-prong plug is used on the Macbook's power-supply.

14 (edited by cloudburst 2013-06-10 06:32:42)

oh man nightmares.. when i was dealing with this same issue, it would glitch out and drop audio at the slightest change in ambient electrical use.. i came to HATE that cable, i cut it up and tossed it in the garbage smile FW is tricky enough without using properly shielded cabling.. argh!

soundcloud.com/wndfrm