1 (edited by muha 2013-04-18 19:52:39)

Topic: Babyface: Extend with ADI-8 DS MKIII or with Oktamic II

Hi,
I need a few additional inputs for my Babyface (only Microphones, no lines, guitars and so on).
Now I think about to buy the Oktamic II or the ADI-8 DS MKIII.
There is only a small price difference and both fit into my budget.
However, I do not understand the difference between those 2 devices when working with a Babyface.

What I want to do:
ORTF stereo recording with a few additional microphones. I will need about max. 6 channels in total. Most of the time 3-4 channels are enough.

But when I think about it a bit I could also buy a Fireface for that money and use this instead of a pimped up Babyface.

What would make best sense?
Tune Baby with an ADI-8 DS, an Oktamic or use the Fireface instead?

EDIT: Oh I just foud out from descriptions that the ADI-8 has no Mic Preamps, right? So I need to decide between the Fireface 800 or the Oktamic, right?

Re: Babyface: Extend with ADI-8 DS MKIII or with Oktamic II

If you are doing location recording, the Fireface UFX is a much better choice. Better preamps and AD/DA converters, plus a built-in back up recording system that is crucial for live recording.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff wrote:

If you are doing location recording, the Fireface UFX is a much better choice. Better preamps and AD/DA converters, plus a built-in back up recording system that is crucial for live recording.

I just took a look at this device and it looks realy very very interesting, expecially the ability to record directly to an USB-HDD.
One question:
Is there really such an huge improvement for the mic preamps compared to the Fireface 800 or the Oktamic II?

The only "argument" for the Octamic is that I would be able to record 8 Mics (Oktamic) + 2 Mics (Babyface) = 10 mics.
With the UFX I would be limited to 4 (UFX) + 2 (Baby) = 6 mics. Still enough for my needs but my notebook would run 2 devices with 2 TotalMix instances where the Oktamic solution would only run one device (Baby) with one TotalMix instance on my notebook.

Hmmm, why do decisions always need to be so hard?

If you plan to use the Babyface as well, the UFX can be set up for stand alone operation via ADAT. As for the preamps, I think it's a significant difference, but of course this is subjective.

Probably the best system for location use would be a UFX with an 8 channel preamp/AD converter. You can use the Octamic (especially the upcoming Octamic XTC makes a phenomenal system here), or get one that fits your budget. The UFX can be used for the "important" mics.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.