1 (edited by Manuel 2007-12-12 21:10:27)

Topic: Fireface 400 not working after sleep / stand by

In summary the issue is that the Fireface 400 does not output an audio signal after my system wakes up from Stand By. I've had this problem since I bought the unit.

OK, firstly let's have a look at my system details:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 GHz
- 2 GByte DRAM
- Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard (which I don't recommend, by the way)
- Windows XP SP2

- Fireface 400 + latest driver (v2.82) and latest firmware (v1.65)
- The Windows XP default playback device is NOT the Fireface 400

First let's prove that the Fireface 400 actually works:

1. Run Winamp and no other application that may attempt to use the Fireface 400.
2. In Winamp, Right-click > Options > Preferences... > Output.
3. Double-click DirectSound output v2.2.10 to show the DirectSound output settings dialogue.
4. From the list of available outputs, select Fireface 400 Analog (1+2).
5. Close all dialogues and hit the Play button to start playing some music.
6. You should hear it or at least you should see the input signal on the TotalMix level meters.
7. If you can't hear anything, tweak TotalMix until you hear the music.

OK, the above steps simply show that the Fireface 400 is indeed working. Now comes the fun:

1. Stop playing music and close Winamp. Open Winamp again, hit Play again and make sure you hear the music. Everything is fine, close Winamp yet again.
2. Put the computer to sleep (Start Menu > Turn Off Computer > Stand-by)
3. Wake up the computer.
4. Run Winamp again and hit the Play button.

This time you won't hear the music ALTHOUGH the level meter for playback channels Out 1+2 in TotalMix is actually showing that there is an audio signal on those channels. In addition, neither the level faders for playback channels Out 1+2 are not set to -infinity (in fact the state of TotalMix is identical to the state in which it was left before going into Stand By).

Now here is how I work round this problem. I discovered this by trial and error. Assuming that I have routed Outs 1+2 to physical outputs Analog 1+2:

- In order to get any sound out of Analog 1 I have to move, using the mouse, either the Pan control or the Level fader for Out 1 a little bit to kind of 'wake up' that playback channel. As soon as I fiddle with that channel's controls it wakes up and sound starts coming through the way TotalMix says it should.

- For sound to come out of Analog 2, I need to fiddle with the Pan control or the Level fader of Out 2.

In summary, the unit has to be awaken by performing this little workaround. Initially I was going mad because I couldn't figure out why I was getting no sound yet TotalMix indicated that sound was being output.

It is important to note that if Winamp had been set up to output on playback channels Out 3+4 instead, then the work-around would only work if you moved the pan or level controls for playback channels Out 3+4 (not 1+2).

Clearly this is NOT the way the Fireface 400 is supposed to work and will have a few scratching their heads.

Thanks in advance to all members who will participate in this thread and RME for their support.

Re: Fireface 400 not working after sleep / stand by

After sleep the mixer settings used before are not loaded into the Fireface. Sums up all you wrote above ;-)

I see the same error here, means a fix will be there soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

After sleep the mixer settings used before are not loaded into the Fireface. Sums up all you wrote above ;-)

I see the same error here, means a fix will be there soon.

Hi MC, I know it's very annoying when customers keep moaning and pushing for something but how is the above fix coming along? :-)

Happy new year

Unfortunately the intended quick fix (adding code from the HDSP series) was not possible, so this one got delayed. Sorry. Maybe in the next few weeks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Not to worry MC, just keep it in the pipeline :-)

Now I did notice another little issue which could be related to the problem described above, and which will most likely be relevant to the problem described above when RME developers finally implement the fix:

When I shut down my PC, the next time I boot the last mixer state (before shutdown) is not loaded into Totalmix. In other words, Totalmix is not the way I left it. Maybe mixer state is being loaded from the flash memory (?). In my opinion, the last mixer state should always be enforced if the Fireface is connected to a host PC. This means that if I were to connect my Fireface to a different host computer which also had the Fireface drivers installed, a different mixer state would be loaded to match the mixer state that was last used on that computer.

MC, would you kindly clarify the following?
- Does the last mixer state in any way get stored on the host PC?
- Which mixer state is loaded when the computer boots (flash memory / last Totalmix state)?
- If several Fireface 400 units are connected to the host computer, how will mixer settings be loaded into Totalmix i.e. will Totalmix know which unit is which and therefore apply the correct mixer state to each of the units?

Best reagards,

Manuel

Manuel wrote:

Does the last mixer state in any way get stored on the host PC?

Sure. The file path is described in the manual, the file is default1.fmx

Manuel wrote:

Which mixer state is loaded when the computer boots (flash memory / last Totalmix state)?

When the FF is switched on it loads the internal (flash) setting. When TotalMix boots it loads the file setting.

Manuel wrote:

If several Fireface 400 units are connected to the host computer, how will mixer settings be loaded into Totalmix i.e. will Totalmix know which unit is which

Of course. They all have unique serial numbers.

That said you have (another) mysterious problem on your computer - TM does not write or load the default settings file on power-down and/or start-up.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Unfortunately the intended quick fix (adding code from the HDSP series) was not possible, so this one got delayed. Sorry. Maybe in the next few weeks.

Hi again, how's the above fix coming along?

Also you said in another thread that hibernation and stand-by worked with FF on your system. On my system, after sleep  not only the above issue of settings not being loaded occurs, but also the driver is not usable.

Jose, another Fireface owner, reports the same problem in a thread he started a while ago.

The only solution is to power-cycle my FF and then it works. This is less far from ideal as hot-plugging the FF can and has crashed my PC several times as a result of inrush current (possible).

Note, however, that after sleep the red LED is NOT on (i.e. good connection between FF and PC). Furthermore, if I move the FF400 front-panel knob the corresponding fader in Totalmix moves accordingly which proves that the connection is good.

-------------------

Sorry about ranting in other threads, users tend to complain but hardly ever praise. I have to say I love Totalmix and DIGICheck, they are awesome! Please keep up the good work!

Happy Easter!

Any news about this fix, please? It's been a year now...

-- Nikos

Thanks for the reminder Ndiam. Let's hope this issue is addressed shortly. Happy new year to everyone at RME!

It's not forgotten (but too much delayed, I agree).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Wonders happen...:cool:

Fixed in the new driver 2.95.

https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/w2fire_295.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hehe! Thanks thanks thanks!!!

13 (edited by Manuel 2010-07-19 09:18:04)

I want to post back on this thread. Since I moved to China I have not been able to use my rig for a while and I am finally up and running again.

Two weeks ago I decided to upgrade my XP machine to Windows 7 and what can I say, with the latest driver my Fireface 400 finally works ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY. I am extremely happy. Every single problem I used to have is GONE.

The problem described in this thread didn't quite go away with the latest XP driver, but on Windows 7 with the latest Windows 7 driver everything works as expected. I am really enjoying my rig now :-)

The ASIO multiclient issues which I mouned about in another thread and all the associated problems with applications trying to access the same playback channel simultaneously are now nicely handled, and nothing crashes.

Well done RME! :-)