Topic: HDSP9652 is selecting a different Synch Ref than my preferred Sync Ref

I'll start by saying that my card is installed and playing nicely with my system.  In fact, I'm totally impressed with the ease with which I was able to install and configure it.  This is a superior product, no doubt.  I'm getting superb audio with no artifacts from timing mismatches.

I'm a little confused, though.  This is a PCI version of the HDSP 9652.  I have three Frontier Tango 24 convertors connected to the HDSP by ADAT optical.  I have the convertors synced to wordclock from an external clock unit (daisy chained and terminated after the third convertor).  The same clock unit is connected to the RME card via a separate WC output.  The clock unit has diagnostics that tell me that both sync lines are properly terminated.

Here's what I'm confused about.  In the DSP Settings dialog, I have Clock Mode set to "AutoSync", I have Pref. Sync Ref set to "Word Clock".  The SyncCheck portion shows all three Adat inputs as successfully at "Sync".

But in the Auto Sync Ref, the sync input is showing as "ADAT".

Shouldn't it say, "Word Clock" since I selected "Word Clock" in the Pref.Sync Ref setting?

Or does the card default to the most reliable clock source regardless of the preferred selection?

Do I have an issue to fix here or is this how it's supposed to work?

Thanks in advance,

JT

Re: HDSP9652 is selecting a different Synch Ref than my preferred Sync Ref

> The SyncCheck portion shows all three Adat inputs as successfully at "Sync".

And what does it say about 'WordClock'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The SyncCheck window reads as follows:

ADAT1 In Sync
ADAT2 In Sync
ADAT3 In Sync
SPDIF In     No Lock
Word Clock  No Lock
ADAT Sync  No Lock

Thanks.

JT

Then you clearly have no Word Clock signal coming in (or you've connected it incorrectly). In the absence of your preferred sync source, the card will select another one.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You're correct.  I had the WC cable terminated at the card with a T connector and a 75ohm resistor.  I didn't realize that the expansion card had its own internal termination.  I had redundant termination at the card. I removed the T connector and put the WC cable directly into the clock input on the card, and now SyncCheck is reading, "Word Clock Sync".

Doh!

Thanks for your help.

Thanks also for a superior piece of gear.

JT