Topic: UFX no longer connects to PC. Help needed.

I'm missing deadlines because of this issue and would really appreciate some assistance.  Normally, Total Mix pops up when I start my studio's PC.  It wouldn't do that today and the UFX is no longer listed in the hardware list.  I attempted to re-install the latest driver according to RME instructions and when I use the Hardware Wizard, it finds the UFX, but tells me that "This device cannot start (Code 10)".  I tried uninstalling and re-installing it but it eventually brings me to the same message.  The FUT file won't run, probably because the device isn't properly installed.  It was working great and randomly did this all today.
Also, the taskbar at the bottom shows the TotalMix and UFX USB icons but when I try to right-click and select "USB settings" or "New Totalmix", nothing pops up.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: UFX no longer connects to PC. Help needed.

Maybe you've set the unit to Class Compliant mode?
The blue USB LED is lit?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Maybe you've set the unit to Class Compliant mode?
The blue USB LED is lit?

Thanks for the quick response. No, I don't see any blue LED.  BTW, it works fine in stand-alone mode.

Can you try a different USB cable and USB port on your computer? The Blue LED should be on. If not then computer and UFX can not communicate at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by BOWIE 2013-04-29 08:06:31)

MC wrote:

Can you try a different USB cable and USB port on your computer? The Blue LED should be on. If not then computer and UFX can not communicate at all.

I used a different cable and port. No change. I even tried a different computer and the UFX's blue light won't come on.  What can I adjust on the UFX?  I tied loading different settings but they all say "invalid". Edit: the factory setting will load, but nothing changes.  The USB cable has light on it which show life on the PC end but nothing from the UFX.

Dying for some more help on this.  I've got customers waiting on me.
Thanks.

I have never seen a USB cable 'with light on it'. HeadScratch

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

I have never seen a USB cable 'with light on it'. HeadScratch

Yes, it lights up blue at each end when a positive connection is made. Aside from that, I could really use help with my UFX.  What settings should I adjust and what else can I try to get the USB to work? Thanks.

Please make sure the unit is not in CC mode (front panel: Setup/Rev - Options - Hardware/Diagnosis, 5th entry from the top).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

Please make sure the unit is not in CC mode (front panel: Setup/Rev - Options - Hardware/Diagnosis, 5th entry from the top).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the reply.  I see no option for CC mode.  The 5th from the top in the diagnosis list is "LCD Contrast".  Perhaps my software does not include the class compliant mode?  Are there other options I should be looking for?

The moment you switch on your computer legacy BIOS functions activate USB and the blue USB light at the UFX will light up. That is independent from any (much later) loaded Windows driver. If that doesn't happen you simply have no USB communication. So it is your computer's USB ports, the USB cable, or the UFX gone kaputt. You have FireWire somewhere to check/use that connection?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

12 (edited by BOWIE 2013-05-01 09:45:56)

MC wrote:

The moment you switch on your computer legacy BIOS functions activate USB and the blue USB light at the UFX will light up. That is independent from any (much later) loaded Windows driver. If that doesn't happen you simply have no USB communication. So it is your computer's USB ports, the USB cable, or the UFX gone kaputt. You have FireWire somewhere to check/use that connection?

Thanks.  I've tried numerous cables, devices, and ports on two different computers and they all work fine except the UFX.  I do not have FireWire.  I feel like it is some kind of setting (because I'm still learning the UFX and total mix) but I don't know what to look for our how to do a reset on the UFX. 

One thing that might be worth mentioning it's that the only loadable patches on the UFX are "factory" and "AD/DA".  After messing with these yesterday, the inputs still work but I can no longer monitor though headphones in standalone. I tried to save settings in patches 1 and 2 but if I try to load them, it says "invalid".

Any help is appreciated.