Topic: Sending Stereo Line Output From Babyface to Keyboard Amp 1/4 Inputs??

Hello,

Please forgive what is probably a very naive question.

I just recently purchased my Babyface, absolutely love it, however,
even though I have read the manual more than once, I simply do
not understand what is the correct cabling I need to have/buy
to either send a stereo L/R output from the Babyface to a keyboard
amp with only 1/4 inputs, for example, or conversely, to send
a stereo left/right output from a synth, etc, to the Babyface XL
inputs.

I imagine I just need to buy to pairs on XLR to 1/4 inch cables, one
pair female XLR and one pair male XLR - but for proper impedence
and highest sound quality do the correct cables need to
be balanced TRS or unbalanced TS on the 1/4 end?

Sorry, I simply just could not get this straight from the manual
after multiple attempts.

A BIG thank you to anyone who answers this simple but important
question.

All the best.

2 (edited by spacealf 2013-05-15 19:15:49)

Re: Sending Stereo Line Output From Babyface to Keyboard Amp 1/4 Inputs??

I am not sure, but I use balanced cables (2 leads - 1 ground) because I do not think I could find an unbalanced cable to use. I think the manual states to dis-connect the second lead (not the tip but the sleeve) to make sure, but I never had any problem, because the tip lead will make the connection and the ground will make the connection on the cables and the second lead never makes a connection.

I don't know if that is actually correct but since I never have any problems that is what I use, because I think using balanced cables are better for electro-magnetic interference and whatever it is called and the shielding makes sure the cable lengths pick up the least interference from all the signals that bounce around in the atmosphere.

Finding a balanced XLR end to a unbalanced 1/4" jack may be hard to do, at least it usually is not done that I have seen and there really is no problem with using a balanced cable in the first place because all the other connections are balanced except my synth output jacks (1/4") which are unbalanced, and if I use my stereo amp I have to use phono plugs (RCA) adaptors anyway, and those work also without anything happening. If it did not, then I worry about it and have to change it and maybe take off the lead like I think the RME manual states somewhere in there anyway.

I think the inputs to the Babyface are variable anyway, so that adjusts to whatever impedence to a certain extent anyway on the input, and synth outputs are closer to microphone impedences than the guitar input which always has to have a high-impedence input and that is why that Inst input is different on the Babyface.

And I think actually you would have to make your own cord then with the second lead off, and I got tired of doing that, and I am sure that I never found a place that actually sold one or took the time to find one if someone does make one. Easier to use what they make in the first place to me and since it all works, I don't worry about it. Use EQ on it anyway to a certain extent before it gets into the input of the Babyface anyway or I change the synth patch (which can be edited) to sound that way that I want it to before it even gets to the Babyface.

(That is also the reason to use a Channel Strip with EQ on it also and for other reasons if needed, and I thought I need those more than worrying about any balanced or unbalanced input difference between equipment.)

And anyway, the USB connections out of the synth usually only record at 44.1 kH or 48kH and what if I want to record at 96kH because it seems I have more headroom in the DAW and just to me sounds better a little bit more. Nothing is never together with equipment anyway, and I do not have thousands of dollars more to spend on any of this recording music, so in the end some people may think my music is crap anyway, and certainly some music out nowdays is crap, so in the end the equipment standard may also end up crap because of manufacturers, and that is that.

Somewhere along the way, a person should try and smile at all the crap out there anyway.
rotfl