Topic: Going live - UC/UCX/BabyFace , Bus Powered and Firewire Future...

Hi,
I'm currently in the crossroad of buying new audio interface for live shows.

I need minimum of 4 outputs but 6+ would always be better.

Performing on some gigs with a laptop I prefer being capable of powering my entire rig of the laptop = not power supply issues get me down during the show.

This is where Bus Powered kicks in.
If a Fireface UC (or UCX through USB) gets powered down for few seconds it won't relaunch.

So...
1. What's my safest solution to be bus powered? is there a chance to get the UC just to just keeps outputs bus powered?

2. Firewire seems to become more and more rare.
Currently I'm using MBP mid2010 but it seems the trend even with Apple is kicking the Firewire.

While UCX might be a current / future proof solution will I be able to use Firewire<>Thunderbolt adapters (I read they provide minimal watt rather than the standard required).
Is there any solution to get more outputs while being bus powered? is there any alternative to firewire with Mac 12v 6/8pin?

Thanks!

Re: Going live - UC/UCX/BabyFace , Bus Powered and Firewire Future...

Not sure I understand your questions, but neither the UC nor the UCX can be USB bus powered. Only the Babyface.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel!
Thank you for your answer.

So let me refrain my questions:

1. Can the UCX be used as firewire powered under MacBook Air / Retina with Thunderbolt<>Firewire Adapter?
(or it gets less current than required)

2. For live shows I want 4 outs, which breakout cable I need. the RME nor dealers websites provide too much information. I want to have 4 physical separate outputs going to x4 D.I. boxes. unbalanced isn't an issue but I don't want to use a split y cable from the headphones out on the device.

Thank you!

Thunderbolt does not provide enough power (7 Watts, required 13).

I don't see the problem with a y split cable for headphone out. Thousands of users use that every day...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME