Topic: TotalMix FX 0.99 - Beta 3 - Update Beta 6 - Update Final

TotalMix FX is getting close to its final version 1.0 (not that we stop working on it then - it just means it has the state that we originally thought it should have when completed). Version 0.99 is going public, and while the feature list seems not so big you can be sure that it was a LOT of work to rebuild TotalMix FX to its new state.

The first thing you will notice is a new look. The bitmaps done for the upcoming iPad app have become part of this update, including 3 different resolutions of 100% (former state), 135% and 200%. For example 135% looks perfectly on a 1920x1200 monitor. 200% is the ideal resolution for Retina displays, where 100% allows to put a small overview of TM somewhere on the screen. Hotkey Z lets you toggle between the Zoom states that make sense on your specific system. All Zoom states are available in the new menu entry 'Window'.

Also part of the visual improvements: in the Matrix the divider between upper inputs and lower outputs can now be dragged vertically in case the window has more content than is visible.

New features:

No Trim: This new button found in the settings panel of the hardware outputs can exclude the channel(s) from the Trim function.

Activate for Talkback: This new button found in the settings panel of the hardware outputs makes the current channel receiving (and thus sending out) the Talkback signal. Formerly the Talkback signal was sent to the Phones outputs only, where this setting is now default, but can also be disabled. Now any hardware output can be adressed to send the Talkback signal to it.

4 new features in the Settings dialog (F3)

PFL Mode: The Solo buttons can be switched to work as PFL (Pre Fader Listening) buttons, as requested from many people working live.

Tab MIDI: now supports up to 4 MIDI remote ports simultaneously

Tab OSC: now supports up to 4 OSC remote ports simultaneously (8 altogether as well!)

Tab Aux Devices: This is a special remote control setting for the upcoming OctaMic XTC. Its Gain Control will be shown in the input channel settings of TM FX and can be set there. A fully flexible feature, that can show the gain pots in the UFX' (etc.) ADAT inputs (if connected that way) as well as the MADIface USB or XT's MADI channels.

2 new options in Preferences (F2)

Count MADI Channels per port: helps to find the right channel when dealing with more than one MADI port, and also fixes the offset by AES or Analog being the first channels.

Disable ASIO Direct Monitoring: as the name says. For most users there is no reason to ever use this option.

Additionally: A million improvements of speed and stability and smaller bugfixes.

Special fixes for the Mac: Always on Top works with 10.8.x now. Resizing the Matrix window no longer forces minimizing it.

And as always: Support for MADIface XT and MADIface USB already included, guaranteeing a stable and reliable version when they are finally shipping.

---------------------------
Update Beta 6:

- Talkback adjustable per hardware output/routing by disabling the TrimGain button in the Talkback channel
- Listenback fixed
- Channel layout assignment fixed for all remotes
- Hotkey Z fixed
- Gain reduction display (white spot) fixed
- PFL button remote control fixed
- Supports the new card reorder feature for HDSPe MADI FX (Windows)
- Supports up to 6 interfaces (before 3)
- Several further improvements and fixes under the hood
---------------------------

Update 2: final version released.

----------------------------

Update 3: TM FX 0.99 is now part of all drivers / installer packages

----------------------------
Have fun!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: TotalMix FX 0.99 - Beta 3 - Update Beta 6 - Update Final

A big thanks to Mathias and the Totalmix developers for creating and SUPPORTING their product. It is extremely satisfying knowing that RME choose to listen to and work with the growing user group to make their products better. Every time new features are added to totalmix i feel I get to unbox my UFX all over again.
I know I will enjoy the new features. Many thanks again.:-)

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.
FF UFX / Macbook 2008 2.4GHz/6GB RAM

Thank you so much !! I've been waiting so long for the talk-back to outputs function! I also like the new design. I'll be testing this on a recording session tomorrow.

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

Hi,

how do I install this ?
When I doubleclick on the exe, only the existing TotalmixFX Window opens.

Alex

Yes, it is the actual application file - you will need to manually replace the existing one in your Windows subdirectory (\system 32) with this one.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I did that already, but after restart, it actually loaded tho old version.

folkfreak wrote:

Do you use windows or OS X?

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

8 (edited by Eric Bradley 2013-05-29 16:53:59)

First of all, THANKS for an awesome update.
You are really paving the way to something wonderful here.

One thing right off the bat.

MC wrote:

Hotkey Z lets you toggle between the Zoom states that make sense on your specific system.

Z does nothing on my system (OS 10.8.3) is there something i'm missing?

RME Fireface UFX
Mac Mini 2.6 GHz 16 GB Ram Areca RAID | MacBook Pro 2,2 GHz 16 GB Ram | OS 10.10.5

z works here...

10.8.3 too

FF UCX - ADI 8 QS(DOTec Madi/Usb i64) - Madi HDSPe(Tco 4)

Could You please try "Y" instead of "Z"?

Eric Bradley wrote:
folkfreak wrote:

Do you use windows or OS X?

Windows 7 64bit

Cheers
Alex

Ralf wrote:

Could You please try "Y" instead of "Z"?

Y seems to work. It toggles between 100% and 135%.
Is this related to my keyboard layout (language)?

RME Fireface UFX

It seems to be a bug in key event analysis. It will be fixed in the next version.

@folkfreak: For temporarily testing a new version you simply can close the (older) version running after boot (right mouse click on systray - exit TotalMix) and then start the beta from any location, e.g. Temp or Download folder.

MC wrote:

New features:

No Trim: This new button found in the settings panel of the hardware outputs can exclude the channel(s) from the Trim function.  ...  Have fun!

Hurrah!  Thanks for finally implementing this. 

I had actually thought that hitting the trim button in the respective submix to toggle exclusion might be a possible way of doing this, but this implementation seems to make more sense.  Look forward to trying it on the job ... and (one day) with the next iPad.

De gustibus - et sonus - non est disputandum

Just tried it, and so far I am very impressed.  Thanks, RME, for continuing to improve what was already a wonderful product!

I have been eagerly awaiting the new feature that allows use of multiple OSC (or MIDI) devices.  So far it appears to be working exactly as I had hoped. I have two versions of Touch OSC running, one on my iPad, the other on my iPhone. I can set either to control only a specific submix, or set up one or both to have the ability to control whichever submix I chose.  This really opens up the potential to use TMFX with some iPad/iPhones to serve as a personal monitoring system for live sound.  Fantastic!

One minor issue - the Z button toggles only between the 100% and 135% options on my Windows 7 machine. Perhaps this is deliberate as the 200% is aimed at new iPads.  But I found that 200% fits my 24" monitor quite well when I am in 2-row view, so it would be nice to have this option without going to the Window menu.

Another nice small but valuable feature is that the Cue button is now significantly brighter, so it is easier to see when active.  A nice touch.

Cheers,

David

Ralf wrote:

It seems to be a bug in key event analysis. It will be fixed in the next version.

@folkfreak: For temporarily testing a new version you simply can close the (older) version running after boot (right mouse click on systray - exit TotalMix) and then start the beta from any location, e.g. Temp or Download folder.

Hi,

thanks.

I did that already.
As I like the new version very much I wanted to use it as default...

Alex

totalmixfx.exe resides in c:windows\system32 ... replace the one in there

i7 Extreme 990X 3.47Ghz, 24GB RAM, Fireface UFX
Nuendo 8, Halion 6, Wavelab 9.5, Izotope RX 6

He uses Windows 7/64 where it can be quite complicated to gain access to that directory. Maybe that is the problem here. For example you need to use the 64 bit version of Total Commander if you want to copy/move/delete files in this directory. The 32 bit version has no real access to it. Using the Windows Explorer might require to do everything as admin and also to configure the Explorer first to gain access to these dirs. Not quite sure as I normally don't use it :-)

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Ok,

this helps me a lot. I am indeed using 32 Bit Total Commander on 64 Bit Windows. I have copied the new version to al places where TC let me. But some I could not.
I will try these with windows explorer now.

Cheers
Alex

20 (edited by cobiashimew 2013-05-30 15:10:28)

You don't need software to get to the system32 directory in Win7 x64. I just copied in the new totalmixfx.exe over the old one yesterday. (yes, I am admin on my machine).
If for some odd reason you cant see the system32 folder (which by default you can) then there is options in the control panel/folder options to let you see system files.

i7 Extreme 990X 3.47Ghz, 24GB RAM, Fireface UFX
Nuendo 8, Halion 6, Wavelab 9.5, Izotope RX 6

works cool

10.6.8 (64 bit)

---
MacBook Pro i7 - 8 GB Ram | RME Babyface | Adam A7x | Cubase 6.x | Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Was the Reverb updated in one of the TotalMixFX updates ?
When I bought my UFX I was really dissapointed with the reverb and continued to monitor with my outboard Mixer and reverb. Today with the new beta I tried again monitoring completely itb with TotalMixFX and am blown away with the quality of the reverb and tes compressor...

Thank you for the update! I have a few comments on the Talkback function. The only thing missing in this feature is that you Can NOT change the talkback mic level individually per output. That made more sense before the latest update, when you could only talkback to Phones (2 identical headphone amps on the UFX). However, now with the ability to talkback to all outputs, analog and digital, the levels will definitely be different depending on what hardware is being patched to the analog outputs, or what DA converters are being used to connect digital outputs to headphone amps. I Tested the talkback function on a recording session and I had a really hard time getting a talkback level that satisfied all musicians (8 headphone mixes). It was too loud for some people and too quiet for others. I would really appreciate if you please made the level of the TB input to be mixable like any other input on TMFX, or at least give us a checkbox on the preferences menu to toggle between the TB being constant volume for all outputs or not. Thank you so much for standing behind such a great product.

FF UFX - ARC - U87Ai - 828Mk3 Hybrid - Digimax FS - Tascam MH8 - MIDI Express 128, 24GB RAM, i7-3630

a little feedback after testing with respect to multiple MIDI controllers;

The new TM works beautifully if one wants to use 4 individual MIDI controllers to control 4 separate submixes. This is one such application in totalmix.
however if one wants to combine the use of x2 units of 8 faders to control a total of x16 input faders in the one submix, the only way to do this is to 'hide' the first 8 input channels in the channel layout for MIDI controller #2 etc. This is fine but it doesn't allow for banking through excess channels as the two units are treated by totalmix as completely separate units. The result is if one switches to the playback row using MIDI controller #1 then MIDI controller #2 does not follow to the playback row it stays set to input channels row.
Ideally x2, x3 or x4 midi controllers of the same family such as Mackie control universal and its extensions would behave as they do in Pro tools and the other DAW. Which is as one unit... any thoughts?

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.

Synced controllers are planned for one of the next updates.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Any thoughts on my suggestion?

MC wrote:

Synced controllers are planned for one of the next updates.

Fantastic. keep up the good work...
As it happens, after further use this week, the midi controllers work quite well in the current setup.

question regarding the PFL function:

When I engage PFL on any given channel it is routed to the AN1/2 (main) output bus regardless of the channel's fader position. However, if I'm going to use the main output for 'front of house' mix, wouldn't it make more sense to be able to assign the PFL function to a particular output bus such as either headphones pair? Maybe I'm overlooking something or I just don't understand the purpose of the function properly?

let us know,
cheers and once again, good work!

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.

Michael A wrote:

However, now with the ability to talkback to all outputs, analog and digital, the levels will definitely be different depending on what hardware is being patched to the analog outputs, or what DA converters are being used to connect digital outputs to headphone amps.

I suppose the work around for this problem currently is to adjust each musician's submix in relation to the global talkback gain level.
ie: if musician #1 finds TB too loud in his cans then increase levels of all his other mix channels and then adjust headphone amp master level down accordingly. Thus, you are not constantly changing TB level across the board.

hindsight:
In the old school days of analogue recording consoles and headphone mixes, one could not individually adjust talback level. It was always a global level across all aux buses. However, now that we are all making use of different A/D converters I can perhaps see a need for individual TB level.

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.

Mr Evenge wrote:

Maybe I'm overlooking something

Yes. There is an assign menu...exactly where one would expect it...on the Assign button....

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Mr Evenge wrote:
Michael A wrote:

However, now with the ability to talkback to all outputs, analog and digital, the levels will definitely be different depending on what hardware is being patched to the analog outputs, or what DA converters are being used to connect digital outputs to headphone amps.

I suppose the work around for this problem currently is to adjust each musician's submix in relation to the global talkback gain level.
ie: if musician #1 finds TB too loud in his cans then increase levels of all his other mix channels and then adjust headphone amp master level down accordingly. Thus, you are not constantly changing TB level across the board.

hindsight:
In the old school days of analogue recording consoles and headphone mixes, one could not individually adjust talback level. It was always a global level across all aux buses. However, now that we are all making use of different A/D converters I can perhaps see a need for individual TB level.

That might work but It's so time consuming, in addition that it seems that the level is Software locked, which I think shouldn't be a huge effort to just (unlock) it.

Basically correct. But apart from the unexpected additional work on our side there is something that we really not like: We will have to add yet another choice/setting in preferences. The 'free' way is only interesting for some power users, so an option must be there to enable the feature. One day TM FX will become unusable simply because of too many options...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Basically correct. But apart from the unexpected additional work on our side there is something that we really not like: We will have to add yet another choice/setting in preferences. The 'free' way is only interesting for some power users, so an option must be there to enable the feature. One day TM FX will become unusable simply because of too many options...

The reason I'm asking for this is because I think it's an essential part of the recently added Talkback feature that I believe is missing. I thought that you may have overlooked unlocking the level control with the Talkback update, which also (in my opinion) makes much sense now since we have all kinds of different impedance/levels for headphone amps/headphones or monitors. It was a Practical problem for my last session with multiple headphone mixes. I don't think that you have to add anything to the menu, if you made it that the Talkback level can normally be adjusted per output. Users who want to adjust it for all outputs at once can easily use TRIM GAIN to do that.  Doesn't that make more sense? No pressure on RME, I really appreciate your hard work, but I'd love to see the feature that I requested and waited almost a year for it to be as useful and efficient as I hoped.

33 (edited by auxi 2013-06-03 17:06:24)

Thanks for that brilliant update!!!!.
far more news than i ever expected.
multi MIDI / OSC is great for up to 8 musicians self operated monitor mixes on stage
zoom function is great and the biggest plus is the PFL and talkback to to outputs!

now, there is only one thing i can ask for as new feature for the UFX:

key-filters for the expander / gate function. like low cut and high cut, or just one sweeping frequency pot with fixed Q (something between 0,5 and 2).

This would help doing great drum sound for FoH-use or a good monitor sound for a drummer playing any acoustic drums. any chance?

auxi

Great, and new features work as described - but User Names are not visible atop strips?!  Looking fwd to full release for iPad - and to OctaMicXT augmenting UFX.

One bug I've noticed (on Windows 7 x64) is that the 'white spot' on the dynamics graph is drawn in the wrong place at 135% and 200%. The spot on the graph appears too far to the right - more so at 200% than at 135%. Clearly there's a scaling factor been missed out somewhere.

Thanks.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

As I play with this version on my Windows 7 x64 laptop's touchscreen, I'm gripped by the thought that a large toggle button which inverts TotalMix FX's handling of Shift would be useful. This would give me a reliable way to group faders or make fine adjustments on the touchscreen, with the button illuminating to give visual confirmation before I accidentally move a fader I'm trying to fine adjust to an end stop.

The alternatives are rummaging for a potentially inaccessible keyboard or relying on Windows' flicks feature to keep Shift held down. It's not always easy to flick reliably on a touchscreen and, in my testing, Windows 7 tends to release Shift rather more quickly than I'd like using touch. Flicks work much better using a pen, as the modifier is kept down whilst the pen remains in proximity, but I don't always want to reach for the pen.

Thank you for continuing to enhance your products. I'm a new RME user and am delighted with my Fireface UCX so far.

This is only valid for the temporary fader groups. Use one of the 4 permanent fader groups and you don't need shift at all.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

39 (edited by volcanoexile 2013-06-09 13:43:12)

Hello, thanks for the great update, it's really taking shape.

I don't know if you are aware of this but when using two OSC controllers, OSC 1 and OSC 2 only the channel layout of OSC remote 1 seems to apply in my touchOSC layouts.

For example if I hide all Playback channels for OSC remote 1 it also hides them all in OSC remote 2.  Hiding/Unhiding channels for OSC remote 2 doesn't seem to make any difference.  It still shows the same track layout as OSC remote 1.

For me this happens for Inputs, Playbacks and Outputs.  Does anybody else have this working correctly?

---

OS X 10.8.4 Retina Macbook Pro

Indeed, the best solution for a grouped fader is to use the fader groups (another great feature). However, my main interest is in fine adjustment of faders, which isn't, to my knowledge, accessible without using Shift - hence the suggestion for a Shift button.

Maybe a neater alternative is to teach TotalMix FX some multitouch gestures - my Tablet PC has four point multitouch. If there is any multitouch supprt, I've yet to find it.

41 (edited by El Duderino 2013-06-09 20:14:06)

First of all, thanks for the continuing development.

Regarding those Win 7 x64 exe-Update actually not happening: I saw that behaviour once before. Windows doesn't recognise the updated driver as new one so it seems...

Regarding my thread here: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17426
Are there any changes in the compressor?

Greetings
El Duderino

Thanks for adding the disable asio direct monitoring option smile

What's the benefit of having ASIO Direct Monitoring disabled on TotalMix/driver level? Is it just a protection for when you accidentally turn it on in your DAW?

Maybe an issue:
when PFL mode is engaged, solo buttons on an attached midi controller do not engage the PFL on the corresponding channel. They do nothing...Is this intended?

Melbourne, Australia.
Pro Audio Dealership.

Michael A wrote:
MC wrote:

The reason I'm asking for this is because I think it's an essential part of the recently added Talkback feature that I believe is missing. I thought that you may have overlooked unlocking the level control with the Talkback update, which also (in my opinion) makes much sense now since we have all kinds of different impedance/levels for headphone amps/headphones or monitors. It was a Practical problem for my last session with multiple headphone mixes. I don't think that you have to add anything to the menu, if you made it that the Talkback level can normally be adjusted per output. Users who want to adjust it for all outputs at once can easily use TRIM GAIN to do that.  Doesn't that make more sense? No pressure on RME, I really appreciate your hard work, but I'd love to see the feature that I requested and waited almost a year for it to be as useful and efficient as I hoped.

Whenever you're ready to reply, is there any hope in this?

Yes there is, don't worry.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Yes there is, don't worry.

Thank you so much!

48 (edited by neirbod 2013-06-18 14:33:29)

I had a chance to try out the new TM using multiple OSC remotes last weekend in a gig setting.  My band played a show in which I ran three independent monitor mixes from the stage using an iPad and our FOH engineer ran the mix entirely from an iPhone.  Both ran Touch OSC.  Everything worked great!  I did not find any technical problems at all using the new TM for this purpose.  Although what I really want is a second iPad, or an iPad mini, for the FOH as the iPhone is a bit too small to be ideal. 

One thing I noticed is that battery life on both the iPad and iPhone was very short compared to the many times I used the previous TM with a single version of Touch OSC.  This is likely due to some network issue at this particular venue and not a TM issue, but I wanted to share this in case others have noticed anything similar that may indicate a TM issue.

While everything worked well technically, I still would like to see some changes in the next version of TM:

1) the ability to directly control all outputs similar to the mastervolume OSC command.  Ideally one could control them either as stereo outputs or mono (more common for live work FOH and stage wedges)
2) more intuitive interface and/or visual feedback from the EQ and compressor in either Touch OSC or Lemur, similar to what is available in TM itself
3) I agree with the other poster who said including a "shift" button OSC command to allow fine adjustments of faders would be helpful

Even in its current form, this is an amazing update of TM.   I am looking forward to trying it using 4 OSC controllers with each musician controlling his/her own mix from stage.

All I can say Matthias.... WOW! This is ......kin' awesome!

----------------
Matt McKenzie-Smith (UFXII, UFX, Babyface) MacStudioUltra OS13.2.1
----------------

50 (edited by blackcom 2013-06-23 22:37:33)

Timur Born wrote:

What's the benefit of having ASIO Direct Monitoring disabled on TotalMix/driver level? Is it just a protection for when you accidentally turn it on in your DAW?

Totalmix mix will change when you change the daw mix. That way you wont get to keep you monitor mix as you want it. I like to keep my project mix and monitoring mix different. For exampel, when tracking tracking guitars i like to have the guitars alot louder in the monitoring then in the actual mix.

If i turn it off in the daw i loose vsti monitoring, so i prefer to turn it off in totalmix.