Topic: Ableton sync with external sequencers

Hi guys,

I was wondering if any of the RME interfaces (UCX, etc) would be helpful in keeping Ableton in tight sync with external grooveboxes and synths that have their own sequencer and timing. I have for example the Elektron Analog 4 and when I send sync from Ableton it noticeably starts to drift after a while from the Ableton timing. I know this is a general issue with Ableton's sync and there are some external clocks devices that can help fix the sync, like this interface from Innerclock systems: http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20 … 20Pro.html

The RME cards also have some clock functionalities, but I am not technically competent enough to understand if they will do the same job as this Innerclock thing - sending sample accurate clock to the outboard gear such as the A4.

Your feedback will be much appreciated
Many thanks

Re: Ableton sync with external sequencers

Hi,

I use Ableton to midi sync my DSI Tempest & MPC3000. Ableton is not the best DAW to use as a sync slave, so I use it as sync master to get the best results. The sync is not as tight as you might get from an innerclock device, but for me it's good enough.

I use the midiports on a RME UFX to sync my external sequencers and I must say that the RME midi ports are getting much tighter sync results than for instance my an Edirol UM-2.

But probably much more important: Ableton improved the midi sync when they put out version 8.2.6 (or was it 8.2.7?). Before that version the sync was very sloppy. What version of Ableton are you using?

Midi sync is a totally different beast than the clock you are talking about:
- Midi sync is used for tempo synchronizing device by using the midi protocol.
- Clocking is for digital audio streams that need to be in sync in order to get no loss of the (digital) sound quality.