Topic: routing my 500 series rack via Totalmix

I have this 500 rack: http://www.radialeng.com/r2011/powerstrip-features.php
I also have the RME UFX

Is it possible to route in any order I like using Totalmix. For example I could go from the onboard preamp to unit 3 then unit 2 in the rack. And could I plug in the mic's XLR or instrument's jack into the into the onboard preamp input, but bypass the preamp and then go through any combination in the rack?

If so, how do I do this in terms of cabling initially? And then any videos in learning how to use the software to do it would be useful. I know there are many videos but I would hope to go direct to one that addresses the specifics.

Re: routing my 500 series rack via Totalmix

You could do this in TM, but you'll have multiple AD/DA conversions happening per device, plus the inherent latency each conversion would add (would have to manually account for differing delays depending on the specific patch: 1 unit, 2 units, or all 3 units, and then playing from a live input via TM or being fed from a pre-recorded track off the DAW).  Certainly possible if you eat up 3 AD outs and 3 DA ins to connect the 3 units, and route in TM (and/or your DAW software) accordingly - but would seem to be a nightmare to get sample-accurate if that matters in your application (parallel processing, multi-mic setups, etc).

Cabling - 6x 1/4" TRS to TRS cables would work just fine to patch each unit's I/O to your UFX's rear line I/O's.

You would be a lot better off with a Patchbay to accomplish this patching task IMO - but with only 3 units, a patchbay is a bit overkill.  I'm also just jumping into a 96pt patchbay, and they ain't cheap At ALL! sad  I'd probably ponder manual patching for the time being - I did it for years and years with a much larger setup before it became a serious hindrance (thus my investment in a Patchbay).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8