Topic: Pci card on mother board mixed with Pcie cards

Hi just a question I have a Hdspe madi card im thinking about adding a hdsp aes32 pci card to the system. will this slow the bus down. Im running a 64 bit system windows as well 32 megs ram. the system is running great right now. but looking to add some aes conection for efx and other out board gear. just seeing if this will slow down the preformance.  Thanks for any input

Re: Pci card on mother board mixed with Pcie cards

I don't believe that this would slow you down at all. I use a Madi PCIe card in conjunction with a HSDP PCIe card attached to a multiface (for some local analog and SPDIF i/o). Given that you are running W7 64-bit, I am assuming you have a relatively recent motherboard, whose chipset should have lots of PCIe lanes available. The bandwidth of the Madi card is not enough to consume your available PCIe lane bandwidth (unless you are using multiple UAD cards, graphics cards, raid-cards etc...). Another option would be to use either an ADI-642 (8 channels bidirectional AES-Madi) or an ADI-6432 (64 channels bidirectional AES-Madi) within your Madi chain. This approach has the added benefit of keeping all of your DSP routing available within the one TotalMix window (as each instance of TotalMix is attached to and can route within one physical PCIe card only). Maybe post your motherboard details and your full complement of PCIe cards so that we have a better idea of what system you are actually running, and other users with similar setups can chime in. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
George.