Topic: Raydat and word clock sync advice

Hi,

I have 2 Raydat cards along with some other RME equipment and think its great but I'm running into an issue. I will give you a very quick run down of what we have so you can get an understanding.

- SoundCraft 323XD Mixing Desk that goes into the Mac via AES and provides Mic inputs / Guitar inputs and External Midi Instruments.
- Mac Pro running 1 Raydat card with Wordclock expansion (This contains all the VST's / Vocal recording / Guitar etc etc) goes out on AES to Yamaha D24
- Yamaha D24 is used for quick recording but also passes out to our Adam and JBL monitors to a Mackie Big Knob.
- We also have an Alesis HD24 linked up via Adat into that Raydat and also a behringer convertor linked into the Raydat via adat aswell (this isn't really used in important circumstances)

The chain for the word clock goes:

MAC (Raydat) out 1 > Soundcraft > Behringer > Terminated
MAC (Raydat) out 2 > Yamaha D24 > Alesis HD24 > Terminated

Now it is all linked up using the BNC T-Connectors and the terminated using BNC plugs.

The issue I am getting is that the sounds sound muddy in the low end. One minute it can sound great then gradually over time you can't mix. Is this word clock related? We have tried alot of things like removing as much as we can between the Raydat and the Speakers but it still sounds muddy.

Do you think it could be the fact that the Yamaha is running off the other word clock in the raydat rather than being in the chain?
How good is the Raydat's word clock card?
Would it be beneficial to get a Apogee Big Ben? If so why do you think this (from personal point of view)

Hope you can help
Many Thanks
Joe

Re: Raydat and word clock sync advice

Word Clock is not likely to be the cause of these issues. If there were clock issues, you'd get clicks. Have you made sure there is only one clock master in the setup?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi!

Thanks alot for the reply smile

Yes I have checked all that and everything is as it should be. The only reason I thought It maybe word clock is that we had a different setup about a month ago (before one of our mixing desks went down) and basically we had this same problem for about a year + and no matter what we did we couldn't solve it until we read an article somewhere where someone said to use T-Connectors (as i think its states in your Raydat manual!!!!! DOH) and it stopped the muddyness and definition was there etc. Then the desk failed and we had to change things around but its obviously not the same as it was before setup wise and is now muddy again.

It almost sounds as if its phasing sometimes.

Many Thanks again
Joe

I would suggest to use some test signals to find out what exactly is happening to the signal, then maybe you will also find the cause more easily.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME