Topic: Feature Request - VST support for TotalMix

What it says.

It would immediately put Apollo out of business if RME pulled this off.  smile

I like your company.. so just recommending a business move. Not sure if it's been suggested or thought of before.

Re: Feature Request - VST support for TotalMix

That would be awesome for zero to low latency plugins without needing to stress systems at low latencies to monitor through DAWs.

3 (edited by Randyman... 2013-08-10 23:21:24)

The only way I see this could happen is to use the PC's CPU, and this means using ASIO and its latency just like a DAW would (or some other proprietary streaming protocol - don't see how it could be much faster than ASIO @ 32 Samples regardless).

I seriously doubt the FPGA used for TM-FX would be able to emulate x86/x64 code to run a VST w/o involving the host CPU and OS (meaning ASIO would still be needed to stream back and forth).  So no free lunch.  Maybe it could run 1 or 2 x86 VST's under some sort of emulation - but efficiency goes out the window under most emulation environments...

UAD is basically tons more powerful than the FPGA used in RME's TM-FX, and obviously UAD has an API that other plug-in vendors can write to.

UAD obviously incurs latency when streaming from DAW to UAD and back as an "Insert".  The UAD Apollo seems to address this a little differently in that it is acting on the digital signal before it is handed off to the ASIO driver (so it is pretty quick with INPUT processing as it is not streaming back and forth when tracking).  I'd have to assume the Apollo still incurs noticeable latency when used as an Insert within the DAW (just like the UAD cards do).

We can dream - but physical limitations are what they are...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Yeah, latency would stay. But I would nevertheless welcome that very much, as I could load Valhalla Vinateg Verb for Vocal Monitoring. With reverb the latency is not such a great problem and the verb is the only weak point on th ufx for me.

Why not use your DAW software to insert the verb then? wink

or use a vst host
I use Bloxpander for this.
see: http://www.eareckon.com/en/products/blo … mance.html
It is easy to use and it is midi controllable.

And that is better than simply loading a reverb into totalmix ?

No, it isnt.
But Totalmix is in fact just a controller for the internal DSP, so until you can load the VST in to the DSP, it is useless to clutter TM with other things to controll as it will increase the latency.

Just create a submix to a free pair of outputs, and feed them back in a VST host.