1 (edited by operacat 2013-10-06 17:13:32)

Topic: Mixing Live show using UFX and TotlMix

hey guys,

I have a gig in November in a 150 people club,

My plan is to rent 2 powered speakers 200 watts  each and a Sub.
Mix the whole show using UFX and TotalMix FX.

the show:

1. microphones x2
2. guitars x2
3. keyboard x1
4. software playback
5. AUX from a Dj x1

Has anyone done such a thing, and if so can you please share the experience a bit?

Anything i should watch out for?

Re: Mixing Live show using UFX and TotlMix

You would be fine mixing the show with the UFX.
Since you already know the input list, it's probably a great idea to setup & save snapshots/workspace just in case you need to recall them quickly.
With such a small band, I would also run the UFX at 96khz.  To me TotalMix FX sounds better at 96 than at 44.1khz.

The only questions I have are related to monitoring.  The rented speakers and sub will cover the audience.
What about the band & DJ?  Do you already have monitors or keyboard/guitar amps for them?

Good luck!!

Studio: RME UFX PT11, Studio One 2.5, Waves, UAD..
Live: RME UFX, Octopre, Rodes, Shure

3 (edited by operacat 2013-10-09 06:05:09)

hi krazylain, thx so much for your answer!

There is also something that I just cannot figure out by myself (it seems)

in order to hear dynamic microphones well, i have to:

1. Use channels 9, 10, 11, or 12 naturally, those have preamps.

2. Adjust gain (about 38bd)

3. and have output gain of UFX in about -13  to 0bd  area

than I can hear mics ok

do you know if that is normal, to run output gain of the UFX in about -13  to 0bd?

with my guitar and keyboard NO amps.

I am renting 2 floor monitors for myself and my drummer uses headphones (anyways)

Planning to create 3 submixes, and route them to 2 floor monitors and drummer's headphones.

As you adjust the mic gain, are you making sure that you are as close to full-scale as possible? If you turn on AutoSet and just crank up the gain, the UFX will deal with setting the level correctly for you. You then stand a good chance of getting as much level as you can to the main mix. It's not necessarily a problem to be working the output gain in that range, however have you turned the powered speakers up to a sensible level? I would define the best level for the speakers to be as high as possible before you can notice background noise. Then, you have maximum control over the output level from your mix position and will never need to adjust the speaker volume.

If you're still struggling to get enough loudness, you could consider turning on the dynamics tools built-into the UFX in TotalMix (enable the compressor on the mic channel you are using).