Topic: Going mixerless, how to configure TotalMix to protect powered monitors

I'm looking at buying a UCX and in the process, I'm thinking of ditching my old analog mixer.

Right now the main use of my mixer is to control the output of the signal going to my self-powered monitors. I set the control room fader on my mixer (my monitors are hooked up to the control room outs) to be extremely low. I really have no idea how loud these speakers can be with a full signal and I don't want to damage them (or my hearing).

Is there a way to permanently reduce the output of my main out? I guess my goal would be to set a predetermined maximum output that would be remembered by the device in both normal use and in stand-alone mode. I read through the manual and came across the Dim setting in the Settings menu for the Main Outs, but it seemed like that is activated by a button? I apologize in advance if my question is confusing.

2 (edited by neirbod 2013-11-11 20:16:32)

Re: Going mixerless, how to configure TotalMix to protect powered monitors

Can you set the volume on your monitors?  If so you could settle maximum to the loudest you would ever need to monitor. 

If you prefer to do this within total mix, there is a volume limiter built into each output in the dynamics section.

Thanks for the reply. I have Mackie HR824's and although I've never adjusted it, I just read in the manual that there is an Input Sensitivity setting that can be adjusted. The default (and maximum) setting is +4 dBu, and it can be adjusted downward from there. I'll do some experimenting with my mixer first to see what feels comfortable.

I prefer to have something in the way of the interface & monitors, for this i use an SM audio nanopatch (passive volume knob with a mute switch)
http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ … patch-plus

this way if starting up/shutting down the pc/interface you can mute it to avoid pops/clicks

_

RME HDSP9652 | | RME Digiface USB

I've been using  a UFX with HR824's for over 2 years. No problems. Just remember to power down the monitors before shutting down the UFX.
powering up, UFX on first, then HR824's