Topic: simple midi control not hiding in totalmix

when I try to hide channels from a simple midi controller they are still active even when hidden.
Is this normal behaviour?
I'm using the latest software firmware and driver/

cheers  Greg

Re: simple midi control not hiding in totalmix

i think that is normal, from my experience hiding channels doesnt disable them it just hides them.. One of the things i do is make sure the channels im about to hide arent routed anywhere before hiding otherwise you can sit there scratching your head until you realise its something in the background..

but when you hide them from a midi controller, not just from veiw, shouldn't the assigned midi controllers all move up a channel?

cheers Greg

What MIDI controller, what MIDI protocol, and which version of TM FX?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

I'm using the very latest totalmix from the website TotalMix FX 0.996,  the controller is a korg nanokontrol (I also have a Eucon artist series controller for my main DAW), by midi protocol do you mean Mackie versus standard midi? In that case I use standard midi. I plan to use 4 of these for my studio musicians to control their own mixes by wired midi.

cheers Greg

I wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding this function but after reading the manual again it seems not.
from the manual

• Hide Channel in MIDI Remote 1-4. The selected channels are hidden for MIDI remote (CC and Mackie Protocol).

"Hidden channels in MIDI Remote x are removed from the list of remote controllable channels. Within an 8-channel block of a Mackie compatible control they are skipped. The control therefore is no longer bound to consecutive orders. For example it will control channels 1, 2, and 6 to 11, when channels 3 to 5 are hidden."

I notice it does say midi CC as well as mackie.

After having tested this again more thorougly it seems that the hide funtion for midi CC does nothing at all.

Is this a bug with my computer, the software or an incomplete implemented function?

cheers  Greg

interesting link here may help folks who want to control other functions such as mute via simple midi

http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm

Ok now I have tried testing totalmix using the mackie protocol.
I did so using the nanokontrol but passing it through LC Xmu
http://www.opuslocus.com/lcxmu/index.php
which converts the output to mackie protocol.
I can now see that it works with Mackie protocol as expected from the description in the manual.
So now I can see that simple midi does not work as expected from the description in the manual and perhaps i have wasted my money buying 4 nanoKontrols based on the expectation outlined in the manual.
I have one simple and quick question after wasting countless hours on something that should have worked.
Is it intended that simple midi control hiding will be working in a not to distant update? If not I guess I should I quit trying and sell the nanoKontrols if they are indeed a salable item.

Hoping for a quick answer

cheers  Greg

P.S. LCXmu is not a solution for me as it only works on MAC and I need it for both.

CC is indeed not part of the MIDI hide function. That is a simple error in the manual, sorry. We will correct that. For technical reasons the hide function will not cover CC.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

that was an expensive error for me, the price of 4 x nanoKontrol V1

What about groups per window, or any chance of implementing the hide function for simple midi?

Well, I just heard yesterday (after sending the above post) that full hide of CC might get implemented. Give me a few days to get more details.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great thanks very much for that comment Mathias.
I was just about to go and order some nanoKontrol2s and thinking to myself damn "I have just been spending so much cash on gear every week the bills are so much" "I've gotta stop spending money" you know how it goes. so I'll hold off for now and hope.
I almost made the order this morning but luckily the checkout was closed. That would have been really anoying to then find out I might not need to.
I really could have used three of them in the studio today though, can't wait to get it going.

cheers  Greg

Hi Mathias,

any news about this yet.

cheers Greg

Due to other projects and holiday (still) there has been no update of TM FX yet.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

No worries happy holidays and New year. Thought I was being a bit ambitious expecting anything to be done at this time of year :-)

cheers  Greg

Hi Mathias,
any news yet?
Not expecting an actual update but just wondering whether it was confirmed that this will be possible soon or likely in a future update.
It's really time for me to move on as I've been waiting to implement this for 3 months or so and it's supposed to be a feature in my studio and main reason for purchasing the Madi FX card. Perhaps better to write off the cost of the  nanokontrol 1 and go for version 2?

cheers  Greg

Support has just been added, new version coming soon.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Oh great thanks very much Mathias you are a champion!
RME rocks!

Hi Mathias,

I'm wondering if the new TotalMix FX 0.997 that comes with the USB drivers will work with the MadiFX?

cheers  Greg

Yes. And new driver package comes in a few days.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Great Thanks