Topic: multiple OSC controllers for monitor mixes

does anyone know how to restrict an OSC layout to only control the output of one totalmix channel ?

Example....

I am looking at creating 2 or 3 iPhone layouts in touchOSC. I would like person A to open layout 1 and see the main volume control for AN1 of UFX.. They would also see a bunch of input level controls that relate to their mix on AN1 but nothing else.. So the person can control their own monitor mix and master level on AN1 but i dont want to give them a track+ or track- control to see other outputs, is there a way of making sure the layout is automatically locked to AN1 when the layout is opened and then cannot be changed ?

Also is there anyway of only allowing certain input channels to be viewed.. So if AN1 monitor output only needed a select group of 4 or 5 input channels to be visible is this possible ? Or can you only view all inputs that are visible in totalmix window from first 8 channels and then move to next 8 channels etc ?

My goal is to build a small monitor layout in touchOSC and simplify things as much as possible.. So someone load it on their phone the proper output is already setup which corresponds to their monitor and the only input faders they see are the relevant ones they want to adjust volume for.. If there are multiple keyboard channels and toms that nobody needs in their monitor i would like to exclude them from view for each layout..

Is this possible ?  Has anyone been able to do anything customised like this ?

Re: multiple OSC controllers for monitor mixes

Just open up options/channel settings in Totalmix FX. You can set visibility on a channel-per-channel basis.

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

Yes I have done this using the "set submix command" and having a template that has a single button that sets the submix to a particular submix with no other options.  Create another template identical but with "set submix" pointing to a different submix etc.  I posted a Touch OSC template months ago with some buttons that use the set submix command if you want to search and see if this helps get you started..

4 (edited by ebulb 2013-12-30 16:29:46)

neirbod wrote:

Yes I have done this using the "set submix command" and having a template that has a single button that sets the submix to a particular submix with no other options.  Create another template identical but with "set submix" pointing to a different submix etc.  I posted a Touch OSC template months ago with some buttons that use the set submix command if you want to search and see if this helps get you started..

I had a look and saw some Lemur templates you posted but i couldnt see any touchOSC things ? When you use set submix command in touchOSC do you just do it like this ?

/1/set submix/4

would that set your submix to whatever is your 4th output is (based on view settings) ? If you could link your template also that would be appreciated smile

MatsHelgesson wrote:

Just open up options/channel settings in Totalmix FX. You can set visibility on a channel-per-channel basis.

I want to keep the inputs available in totalmix but would like to customise visible inputs on the OSC layouts people are using for their monitors.. So if I have 2 toms, hi hats, bottom snare etc nobody wants them in monitors so i would prefer to keep these unvisible and out of the OSC controllers so people dont have to scroll past them.. Too many irrelevant channels for people to scroll through on a small device like iPhone is too much clutter, but those channels still need to be available in totalmix for the FOH PA mix.

So im wondering is there a way of customising a touchOSC layout so 7 input faders looked something like..

1. Bass Drum (Totalmix channel 13)
2. Bass Guitar (Totalmix channel 20)
3. Guitar (Totalmix channel 22)
4. Lead Vocal (Totalmix channel 10)
5. Backing Vocal (Totalmix channel 11)
6. Keyboard (Totalmix channel 3)
7. Keyboard (Totalmix channel 4)

Is it possible to just have 7 individual faders and refer to those specific totalmix channels ?

5 (edited by neirbod 2013-12-30 18:48:16)

Hi Ebulb,

Will post the Touch OSC template when I get to back to my studio.  As I recall the syntax is slightly different than the Lemur template.

As for your second question, I have a similar situation.  I was not able to find a way to hide inputs on only certain devices.  My understanding is that RME will develop a direct addressing system for OSC so you could assign controls specifically to a particular input.  This would make a solution to your situation easy.

In the meantime, my solution is to put all of the most critical inputs together on the lower inputs (ideally just 8 so they fit on one page), pushing the non-critical ones to the end where you would need to scroll to another page to see them.  For example, my first 8 visible channels for a band I mix live frequently is vocals 1-3, guitars 1 and 2, bass, kick, snare.  The next set of inputs (on page 2) are toms, hi hat etc.  The musicians can see 90% of what they need for personal mixes on one page.  For simplicity, if someone needs any other necessary adjustments (such as the drummer wanting some toms in an IEM mix) I make those changes for him.  It usually just needs one adjustment during sound check and then it is good for the night.

i have been messing with it some more and i think i worked out the setSubmix thing.. i just used the range value in touchOSC to set the output.. the thing ive realised though is only one OSC controller has priority on selecting the submix so if you have 2 or 3 iphone apps with different people wanting to control their own monitor it seems only one send can be adjusted at any time.. So i dont think its possible for different people on different sends to each be tweaking their own monitors at the same time..

hopefully im either wrong somehow ?? or this changes and RME allow a way for more than one submix to be controlled simultaneously through different OSC controllers..

Hello all,

I'm facing the same problem as Ebulb as well.   I'd like my 2 band members to mix their own monitor using their iPads and a TouchOSC template I made for them.   I'd love to "force" the OSC layers to a submix...   Say, 7002/9002 binds to Submix #2.   So, what ever mix is selected in TotalMix, my Bandmate can always mix his monitors with his iPad... That'd be simply great!   Thanks in advance...

PS: So far, I'm using the setSubmix command with a few buttons but like Ebulb said, only one submix can be edited using this method.   

Cheers,

Marc Girard aka Khorus

people have been asking for global OSC control for probably 12 months or more now.. its going nowhere and i think it's a dead issue at this stage!

9 (edited by Ralf 2014-09-04 07:00:49)

Khorus,

of course you can select different mixes from different remotes. You only have to disable the "submix follows..." option for these remotes. In this situation a TotalmixFX window can only show the submix selected in this window, i.e. the editing done by your bandmates could be "invisible" but is effective.

"Global" OSC control would solve none of the problems described in this thread and rise lots of more questions...

Best regards,

Ralf

10 (edited by ebulb 2014-09-05 01:43:47)

ok, so how do you create an OSC layout that has faders/buttons which exclusively address the submix intended for only a single user ? the goal with global OSC is to have a singer open the OSC app on their phone and have access to things which are relevant to their monitors only and not allow them any access to other submixes or be able to screw anything else up..   they would open the app and immediately see controls which are fixed to their mix without needing to configure anything.

the last thing you want on stage 10 seconds before a band starts is some band member accidently changing someone elses mix because they didnt realise they had the wrong submix selected on the app before they started moving faders.

For me this use case more calls for the solution described by Khorus (fixed connection of a remote to one submix). Such a function also is closer to the current solution and would work with existing templates. On the Totalmix side you would have to hide all channels for this remote, that shall not be operable by this remote (e.g. certain output volumes). Doing this also helps to have all necessary faders in one "bank".

As current workaround in TouchOSC you could make a kind of start-button (push-type) or a second page (behind a clear starting page, requiring a page change by the user) to send one time a set submix command. But of course, this doesn't garantee 100% fixed connection to a certain submix. In Lemur with scripting I see even less problems (but it's much more difficult to make the template).

The main disadvantage of "global" control is the required feedback to the remotes. With bank-mode Totalmix only has to send the limited number of channel informations for this bank, but in "global" all changes, as it doesn't know, which controls are used on a certain remote.

Best regards,

Ralf

i tried an initialise button like the page change idea but it never seemed to work properly.

with global control you could minimise network data fairly easily.  on the channel layout page add 4 OSC controller pages (alongside inputs,software,outputs) to select what channel information gets allocated to which OSC controller.. alternatively you could make an OSC matrix window..

ebulb wrote:

people have been asking for global OSC control for probably 12 months or more now.. its going nowhere and i think it's a dead issue at this stage!

I too am beginning to think this will not happen.  Too bad as it would be a great feature to open the UFX up to many possibilities.