Topic: Riser card issues with pci e aio card - need some insides

Hi Community,

I hope someone has an idea? I have build a new PC for audio playback with a AIO card. The card is housed  in a case from a company called hfx in Austria. The main board is a mini itx board from asrock. The housing is a 2u housing , however to fit the AIO into the case it has to be horizontally mounted. Therefore I need a pci-e 1x to pci-e 1x riser card. After I did a first installation of the OS everything work perfectly alright, until the driver for the AIO got installed. When I start Total Mix the OS gets sturdy and the mouse pointer is immensely delayed in movement. This is so severe that occasionally the system freezes and no action can be done or carried out. I read in some forums that occasionally flexible riser cards can tend to producer so much interference, that the cards can be affected by the effects. I have seen that some manufactures do cove the flatband cable  with some insulating foil in order to avoid radiation. Is there some experience on that and if yes what is to do? Any thoughts are welcomed!

Thanks a lot for your advise.

Rgds

Markus

Re: Riser card issues with pci e aio card - need some insides

Riser cards may but often don't work. Extending something critical like the PCI clock lines is technically a really crazy idea...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: Riser card issues with pci e aio card - need some insides

Hi MC,

thank you very much for the quick reply and your insides. Did not know that the PCI clock could be the matter of problem. Tja bad news for me, however will see what I can do to overcome the problem. Maybe get an external based sound card and forget the idea of a pci slot in the PC.

Best Regards

Markus