Topic: Total Mix Ipad Auria with UCX

I have just purchased a Fireface UCX having being really impressed by the Babyface that I had purchased to use as a portable interface. I am intending to use the UCX to record live with an ipad air and Auria making an ultra compact DAW . I'm experiencing problems when using the Total Mix ipad app alongside Auria. With the two apps running all seems ok but when I have the Total mix app open it is frequently causing Auria to crash. Audio play back stops radomly and when I return to Auria it's either crashed and closed completely or I get a low memory error which has stopped the audio.  The auria projects I have tested with all have very few tracks and appear to be using small processor and memory values, It's as if the memory usage spikes. Any body else experiencing this ?

Re: Total Mix Ipad Auria with UCX

I have seen the same, although not frequently but just a few times. Auria does seem to use a lot of memory, though. The problem gets less with iPad 3 and up but can still happen. I never noticed a different app doing the same (crash), and TM FX does not use much memory. You should report this to Auria directly, if the crash is reproducable on your setup you might be able to help tracking down the cause. I will also notify them about this, they have RME hardware and might be able to check that as well.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply MC. I have the new Ipad Air and as I said the Auria projects I have tested on have small memory useage of around 40 mb so it does appear that the memory use suddenly spikes for some reason whilst in Totalmix FX. I will report this to Auria. Other than that the UCX and totalmix app are amazing : )
one more question do you guys produce a case for the UCX as it is such a portable device?

Sorry no.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Did you ever hear back from them?

Even with no change in Auria the new TotalMix FX for iPad app 1.1 might fix those problems. Not about memory problems (as they are not caused by our app), but anything else. Version 1.1 has been highly optimized to use only a fraction of CPU load than before. This helps in many ways, but especially when switching between apps, as that causes a high CPU peak anyway. So with the much lower load of the new TM FX such an app switch might be smooth as a baby(face) back wink

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

6 (edited by Yodasoldier 2014-02-28 12:39:44)

Hi MC,
They said they would add to their list of things to look at for the next update. Glad to hear that the new updates may fix problem, but at the minute it's a little frustrating trying to use the two apps together. The only workaround I could think would be to be able to save set ups to the memory banks on the ucx via the ipad in cc mode so I could set up the audio ins first then not have to use the total mix app for turning on input channels when needed. But I believe this is not possible, does the new ipad app update allow this? When does 1.1 come out?
Keep up the hard work !

Just installed new update to firmaware and ipad app and Auria and Ipad app all seems to be working happily together, no crash yet! Well done RME and also for implementing the save seup to  the units memory bank, Awesome!

A week on and all is good, well done RME this UCX and ipad is working like a charm!  just purchased one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Multi- … =anker+pro
Works really well  just used for over two hours  recording and playback and battery is at 70%
a perfect combination to the UCX and Ipad for a truly portable DAW  smile