Topic: 2 mono inputs to a stereo output

I have two outputs from a turntable - left and right channels of a stereo output in other words - going into two mono inputs on the front of a Fireface 800. I want to make these into a stereo input into Cubase (such that I get a stereo audio track). Is there a straightforward way to do this in Totalmix?

Re: 2 mono inputs to a stereo output

You'd do it in Cubase.... Not in Totalmix...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by spyder 2014-01-14 20:01:09)

Ah, OK, thanks Daniel.

I assume what you are saying is that I should at first record the two inputs simultaneously into two tracks in Cubase, representing the single stereo channel of the original signal but they would now be two separate mono channels. Could you help further by suggesting the best way to get those two mono tracks to be the two channels of a single stereo track in Cubase?

What Daniel means is that within Cubase there should be a way to record a stereo track directly.  For example in Sonar when I chose an input channel to record I have the option of "channel 1", "channel 2", or "stereo 1/2."  I assume Cubase has something similar.

A quick Google search found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jNt4T1oRF8

6 (edited by spyder 2014-01-14 23:18:14)

Thanks neirbod.  I am reasonably familiar with VST Connections, but couldn't seem to get my head around how to get two mono inputs to be a stereo track. Thinking about it, and checking the video, it must be simple : route the two mono ins (listed in Device Port) to either side of a track. Obvious, I guess!  I'll check tomorrow when my brain is a little less addled!

OK, I have it connected properly now. Yes, it is done in the VST Connections of Cubase. Of course I should have known that but my brain had gone somewhere after a few late nights! Thanks for the clarification.

One more thing if I may : the turntable cartridge of course puts out a very low signal. I can get a reasonable input in the Cubase meters if I turn the gain knobs right up on front inputs 7 and 8. But is it also best to select +4dBu for line level on those inputs? And would this apply for both In and Out?

+4 will get you an even lower signal. Also, you will need proper RIAA equalization for a good signal. It's best to use an external phono preamp (unless your turntable has got an inbuilt one).

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

9 (edited by spyder 2014-01-15 16:14:16)

Ah, do I use the option of -10dBu then?   Or do those options only work on the rear inputs?  (I am using the front ones).

And, yes, I'm looking at the RIAA issue.

EDIT : I have now ordered a phono preamp with built-in RIAA EQ. Should I plug it into the rear or front connectors on the FF800?

I think I need to use the rear inputs of the FF800 for connection to the phono preamp. Is that correct?

OK, I figured it all out. I have just recorded a couple of albums using the phono preamp with RIAA EQ and the results are excellent! Thanks to all.