1 (edited by TabSel 2014-01-29 21:57:56)

Topic: digiface hammerfall driver does not work

ok, this is serious. I am using 2 laptops, each equipped with a hdsp digiface, one via PCIe, the other via CardBus Card, both connected via 3xadat.

The one Laptop is currently "gone", so I hooked up the PCIe to the other Laptop, so this had both HDSPs.

But there was serious Audio stutter. I checked sync, everything ok.

Now I hooked up an old Desktop pc, put my PCI Card in it, so the Laptop only uses one HDSP via the PC Card.

The Card is detected, I see it in the Settings Dialog. I can open the mixer, I see signals coming from the other Card, I can route IN's to Outs and all this.

But None of my asio Hosts does work with the hdsp, they don't give me an error, there's just no Sound, the the Play Cursor is not advancing (no sampleposition advancing).

I have THREE PCMCIA PC Cards here, and the Problem is with each oif them.

What the heck can this be?

Please help!

edit: when using only the PCIe on the Laptop, everything works as it should. using any of the PCMCIA Cards, there's no Sound/sample advancing any more. It worked yesterday...

Re: digiface hammerfall driver does not work

Did you reset the settings in your DAW to be back to only one card and the amount of (less) channels? It loooks like the DAW expects hardware that is not there. Othwerwise remove the driver and then reinstall it.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by TabSel 2014-01-30 08:58:01)

Of course, I changed driver in the Daws (I tried with various). Maschine2 for example simply doesn't play, the play cursors doesn't move, no sound, with the PCMCIA hdsp. Unplugging it and using the PCIe hdsp works though. Using both, maschine2 plays, however the signal is extremely distorted as long as I am using at least one channel of the PCMCIA hdsp. It works when using only channels of the PCIe hdsp....

Same with other hosts, however DAW behavior might differ. But result is the same.

I'm clueless.

edit: I once wrote an ASIO driver to bridge to Copperlan, where there was a bug where I didn't change sampleposition in the callback, which resulted in similar behavior...

I already uninstalled the driver, removed all files completely. By inserting any of the PCMCIA cards, the computer didn't detect the hardware change. But when installing the driver, the card gets detected and is visible in the settings dialog, for example, I even can flash it successfully.

How do you hook up PCIe to a notebook? And maybe the whole problem is missing power for the DIGIface?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC for your support!

with PCIe I mean the ExpressCard.

to clarify: the issue was
- HDSP with PCMCIA card not working: the Card is detected, but sampleposition is not advancing in applications using the HDSP driver with a channel sitting on the PCMCIA card HDSP. (hitting "play" in cubase, maschine etc. does not move the playcursor, or does not indicate any signal in the DAW channels, very weird)
- Using only channels of the ExpressCard HDSP works flawlessly.
- Using both PCMCIA and ExpressCard on the same machine, using channels on both HDSPs, with both HDSPs locksynced via ADAT results in harsh noise.

I had no clue what was going on.

I disconnected both HDSPs (unplugged PCMCIA and ExpressCard and hooked up a Motu 828x via USB2.

Gues what: same issue, same symptoms!!!
( the motu works well on a MacBook Pro late 2013)

I tried several hours yesterday to narrow down what the issue is, and I got it:

I am using a powered ExSys 7-port USB2 hub, connected to one USB2 port on my Dell M6500. (all my MIDI Controllers go to this hub, as do dongles, logitech unifying receiver etc...)

On the other of the two USB2 ports there only was a wacom tablet wireless receiver, I plugged this out and connected the Motu to it.

another powered ExSys 7-port USB3 hub is connected to one of the M6500s USB3 ports (with two Displaylink-Adaptors and a 2TB USB3 drive)

the second USB3 port is unused, used to connect various different devices on demand.

Now, I noticed, when I boot the M6500 WITHOUT the USB2-Hub on the first USB2 port, the Motu works flawlessly.

When I boot the Dell M6500 with the USB2-Hub connected, I get the symtoms described above: no signals, no sampleposition advancing.

I have not tried to use the PCMCIA HDSP without the USB2-Hub connected.

Now this is way over my head, can it be that I had a shortcircuit on USB2-port I usually have my USB2 hub connected? Might a defect USB2 controller be the root cause for the PCMCIA card issues? (the expresscard works though)

I had some bluescreens yesterday while trying to find the cause, something with win32k.sys. Is it possible that the complete motherboard of the M6500 is defect? (If nothing is connected to the malfunctioning usb2 port, everything is working fine, despite the bluescreens yesterday)