Topic: RME HDSPe AIO - Digital interference issues

I wish I had done more research before purchasing an RME HDSPe AIO because I have been struggling with interference issues on this card since I received it 4 days ago. The card was purchased from http://www.rme-shop.com/ via eBay - new, sealed in package. They claim it is the latest revision with the supposed "fix" to this interference issue (which I see has been reported by countless other users on this forum and Gearslutz).

Essentially when I use either my Beyerdynamic DT880 headphones via the Phones out OR monitors via RCA, I hear a high-pitched digital noise. It sounds like crunchy pitched static that comes in and out intermittently. The noise ONLY starts up when Windows 7 boots, and given that I have a discrete graphics card, my best guess is that its picking up interference from that graphics card somehow.

Previously I was using a Firewire interface (Presonus Firebox) which had no issues. So, this is not a matter of cabling or the gear itself being problematic, or the power source, etc. I have also tried plugging in the same equipment directly into ANOTHER computer, plugged into the same power source, without a Firewire interface. I still get the interference there.

I have tried the solution where you use electrical tape to completely cover where the card makes contact with the case. At first I thought this would work but when I put in the breakout cables, the issue came back. I've also tried ferrite noise filters for my cabling (power + audio) as WELL as an isolation transformer, all of which had no effect. I'm considering purchasing things like Hum X from ebtech but given that the isolation transformer didn't work I'm highly skeptical that this will fix anything.

I'm frankly shocked that this issue exists for such an expensive piece of equipment that is so highly revered. Supposedly it was even fixed, or so I read on this forum, but clearly that is NOT the case. I have NEVER had any issues with digital interference in other audio cards in the 10+ years I've been making music w/ computers.

What other steps can I possibly take to rectify this problem? Or do I have to return the card?

Re: RME HDSPe AIO - Digital interference issues

You can get a different computer that doesn't bombard the PCIe cards with noise on power supplies and ground. As this most probably is no option you should return the card as there will be no other satisfying solution.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

If it were a grounding issue wouldn't an isolation transformer have fixed it? I tried that, and it didn't work. Also, I did the fix of completely isolating the card from the case and that didn't work either. If it were a ground issue then isolating the card would have made a difference.

I am curious to know what cases or power supplies are approved for use with RME cards. I have a high-end case and power supply and my machine was custom built for audio work.

FYI as an update I tried both moving my video card AND purchasing an entirely new, lower-profile, EMI-shielded fanless video card which also did not work. I am going to try this absurd solution next:

http://www.overclock.net/t/571718/how-t … sound-card

The serial number of your AIO card would be useful. You said this is a revision 1.3 card, but we manufacture 1.4 for quite some time...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I was mistaken, it is rev 1.4 (looking at it now). SN 23626939.

By the way, I have tried using the card in a completely different DAW computer with different components entirely. Different manufacturers etc. Not 1 part is the same between the two computers. The noise was still there (though a bit different in tone). I also moved this other computer to an entirely different floor of my house - different electrical circuit - with no change.

The thing is, the card itself is not defective per se because there is NO noise whatsoever in the BIOS. Also, no noise when running GPU benchmarks like Furmark. Therefore the noise is not originating from the card itself, but it is instead hyper-sensitive to something else.

The faraday cage / EMI shielding solution did not work either.

If you want to blame the parts in two separate computers, that is fine, but I am very curious to know what RME-approved parts I should get instead.

Revision 1.4 is not known to have such problems as you can easily find out yourself (check the dates of the complaints, they are all old and from cards of earlier revisions). There is one thing that must be clear: using unbalanced connections to external gear can always cause such noises and is therefore not possible to prevent. It would be noise depending on the current hardware used and set up. If you do not connect anything to the card and just plug in your headphone, no noise should be heard with the headphone. If you can still hear noise directly in the headphone with no other connection to the AIO then something is wrong, but I do not know what.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Disable all energy saving options of the cpu in the bios!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632