Topic: spdif out routing

Morning smile  i have a babyface and a kemper, i'd like to reamp but i cannot.   i used to be able to reamp, but i did something, been trying for 2 days to get it back.

dry track routes to Sub1 (output on DAW), which routes to ADAT3.   ADAT3 USED to send a signal to the kemper, and then I'd get the wet signal back via Input2 (spdif2, the right side of the spdif in).  all my cords and spdif optical/coax converters are good.

only thing i can think of is the spdif/adat thing in the babyface options.   but i switch to ADAT, the kemper still doesn't receive a signal.     ... i can hear the kemper signal coming back, the floornoise of the different amps (which switch when i switch profiles, and which turn up when i turn up the gain), and the kemper works normally in every other aspect, i just can't get a signal to it, because i did something, either in the DAW, or in TotalMix, or in Windows7 (all the playback/recording devices are enabled and ready).

any help would be appreciated, thanks.   here's a picture of my current setup:

http://imageshack.com/a/img716/9108/6jbl.jpg

2 (edited by fdsaevad 2014-03-21 21:25:40)

Re: spdif out routing

OK new question:

... where is the the SPDIF OUT represented in TotalMix?

i have to route the dry track to that....   what is it, ADAT3?

Because, as i see it, AS1 and AS2 are the left and right sides of the incoming SPDIF.

edit:   AS1 and AS2 'hardware output' is the spdif output. ..........

YOU KNOW WHAT, I JUST TOOK ME FOUR #$)(*@#$()*@#$ DAYS TO FIGURE THAT ONE OUT.

seriously though, the fact that AS 1 and 2 (WHAT DOES THAT EVEN STAND FOR) hardware input has the same name as AS 1 and 2 hardware output threw me off.

somehow i associated both with the spdif input (the L and R side of it), and so i assume ADAT was the spdif output.  I don't know what ADAT is, nor do i care, it's just your whole mixer this is so useless to the casual n00b that i'd be surprised if any recreational recording enthusiast is able to figure it out in under 4 months.

here's what you're going to do. 

you're going to make a new mixer that loads after a simple questionaire:

- do you use speakers (yes/no)
- do you use headphones (yes/no)
- do you use spdif (yes/no)
- do you use ADAT (yes/no)

then you're going to only bring in the faders that have been answered yes to, and you're going to label them accordingly:
-SPEAKERS
-HEADPHONES
-SPDIF
-ADAT

not some random letters.

it's so confusingly stupid.   once you get the whole concept, it's great - very genius way of routing things.  BUT NOBODY GETS THE CONCEPT unless they sit down and look at if for 4 months.  i've been home recording for 14 years.  i just lost 4 days of my life because i didn't know what AS stands for.   CHRIST.

thanks.

5 (edited by ry_cooder 2017-09-11 16:33:20)

fdsaevad wrote:

Morning smile  i have a babyface and a kemper, i'd like to reamp but i cannot.   i used to be able to reamp, but i did something, been trying for 2 days to get it back.

dry track routes to Sub1 (output on DAW), which routes to ADAT3.   ADAT3 USED to send a signal to the kemper, and then I'd get the wet signal back via Input2 (spdif2, the right side of the spdif in).  all my cords and spdif optical/coax converters are good.

only thing i can think of is the spdif/adat thing in the babyface options.   but i switch to ADAT, the kemper still doesn't receive a signal.     ... i can hear the kemper signal coming back, the floornoise of the different amps (which switch when i switch profiles, and which turn up when i turn up the gain), and the kemper works normally in every other aspect, i just can't get a signal to it, because i did something, either in the DAW, or in TotalMix, or in Windows7 (all the playback/recording devices are enabled and ready).

any help would be appreciated, thanks.   here's a picture of my current setup:

http://imageshack.com/a/img716/9108/6jbl.jpg

I have similar problem, have you found a solution?
I don't know how to setup TotalMix in order to send SPDIF to Kemper. How I need to set AS1/2 on TotalMix? Sorry for the noob question

See my blog article: http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … rnal-equi/

And RME training videos:
http://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/inde … al-Videos/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

7 (edited by ry_cooder 2017-09-11 17:50:16)

ramses wrote:

See my blog article:

And RME training videos:

thank you very much for your help, I read your blog and followed the instructions on how to integrate external hardware but I'm still bit confused...
In TOtalMix I have assigned phone 2 to AS 1/2. In this way all the signal coming from my daw is received by the kemper, which is not desirable. Also while I'm playing something on my daw, tha AN1 input (in which I plugged the Kemper analog out) is receiving signal, and I don't understand why because i'm trying to reamp only via the optical output (AS1 or AS2).
I am completely confused, can you suggest me some tips? I don't understand where I am wrong

here the screen of TotalMix while my DAW is playing
  https://ibb.co/mutT9F