1 (edited by dbarrow 2014-03-30 04:50:55)

Topic: HDSPe ExpressCard works in Windows 7, but not in 8.1

I have an ExpressCard and Digiface that has worked flawlessly with Windows 7 for years, but doesn't seem to work on my new Windows 8.1 laptop. I have the latest drivers and firmware. The ExpressCard shows up and Totalmix works, but no audio is passed to or from various programs, including Sonar X3, Soundforge, Software Audio Console, Foobar, VLC, etc. I can plug it back into the Windows 7 computer and it all works again, just no audio in Windows 8.1. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: HDSPe ExpressCard works in Windows 7, but not in 8.1

Also, I have RayDAT cards in two other Windows 8.1 computers and they work perfectly with the latest firmware and drivers.

3 (edited by dbarrow 2014-03-30 04:51:09)

Does ANYONE actually have the RME HDSPe ExpressCard with a Digiface working in Windows 8.1?

I have an HDSPe ExpressCard with a Digiface that don't seem to work on Windows 8.1. Totalmix works, but no sound is passed to or from any programs. They work fine on Windows 7. Is the current driver not compatible with Windows 8.1? I am using driver 3.39 and firmware 20.

The driver works. Please provide more details. Also, can you see incoming signal in Digicheck?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

6 (edited by dbarrow 2014-04-01 17:50:56)

There is no input in Digicheck. In fact, there is no input or output to ANY programs running in Windows 8.1. Totalmix will route audio in or out to anywhere on the Digiface, just not to any Windows program. Everything works perfectly on another computer running the latest firmware and drivers with Windows 7.

Also, two other computers with Windows 8.1 have everything working perfectly with the new firmware and drivers for the RayDAT cards they have installed. I did notice that on the RayDAT cards the configuration app shows that the hardware is synced at 48khz. On the notebooks running Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 the app shows "sync" but no "48khz". This is on both computers and, as I said, the Windows 7 computer has audio in and out to programs working perfectly. On the Windows 8.1 notebook; no audio to or from programs.

What exactly did you test in Digicheck? Which channels did you select, did you try both ASIO and hardware input?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

No level from any ASIO input. "Hardware Input" is greyed out and not selectable.

It seems the more interesting question is if you can see the Digiface WDM devices in the Sound panel. If so you can test playback there.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

10 (edited by dbarrow 2014-04-01 21:26:17)

The WDM channels show up under "Control Panel > Sounds", but no sound from any Windows programs. As I stated previously, EVERYTHING works on another computer under Windows 7. If I assign Foobar2000 on the Windows 8.1 computer (like Windows Media Player) to play out of the RME WDM channels I get "unrecoverable error". No input/output to either WDM or ASIO drivers, although they all appear to be listed under Windows 8.1 and show up listed in various Windows programs.

I notice that on my other computers with RayDATs the setup window shows the sync/lock sample rate out to the right side (48khz), but it doesn't show that for the ExpressCard on either my Windows 7 notebook or the Windows 8.1 notebook. Is that the way it is supposed to be? Audio works on the Windows 7 computer, not on the Windows 8.1 computer.

> The WDM channels show up under "Control Panel > Sounds", but no sound from any Windows programs.

Select the Speaker device (channels 1/2 of the Digiface), select Advanced, hit the play button. Do any level meters in TotalMix show that test signal? Does the playback work at all or do you get an error message?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

The test tone doesn't play and there is an error message, no indication in Totalmix. Could this be an issue with having an older ExpressCard being incompatible with my newer computer? The Windows 7 computer that it works on is 5 years old or so.

Try disabling PCIe power saving in the BIOS. Also talk to ADK. There are no general incompatibilites with newer laptops....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Power saving is disabled everywhere. I was on the phone with Chris from ADK for about an hour yesterday. He was connected to my computer remotely and went through about a hundred different checks. He couldn't figure it out either. If I want to try and uninstall/reinstall the drivers again, how can I completely remove all vestiges of the hdsp driver, so it doesn't automatically reload before I can reinstall from scratch? Another idea that occurred to me was that this mught be some sort of permissions problem. Is there somewhere I can check to see if some DLL files are set to the wrong permissions or something like that?

The driver info shows "hdsp.inf_amd64_1dc8f45e9bfbfb7e". This is an Intel i7 processor-based system. Could the "amd64" be the problem? Perhaps the installer mistakenly installed some amd64 component.

I uninstalled the driver and deleted the associated files from the c:\Windows\System32\File Depository. This resulted in "failed installation" when I tried to reinstall. After I restored the files from the Recycle Bin I was able to reinstall, but I think is is putting the same files from the amd64 directory back in.

The card is detected and installed by Windows correctly, but there is no interrupt triggered wich would start audio transmission in/out of the computer.

In the Settingsdialog, Tab About, which firmware version is shown there?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

There is no mention of "firmware" or firmaware version in the "About" section, just the "3.39" driver version.

In the "Global" section it shows "Digiface (1). SN=22900641. Revision=20

Then it seems the Express slot is defective, or lacks a specific driver that is needed from the OS. I seriously doubt this is caused by a wrong HDSP driver installation. But you can easily remove and reinstall the driver by using the usual Program removal control panel, and/or the device manager.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When I search the Windows directory for "hdsp" on both computers, I get "hdsp.inf_amd64_neutral_302409909fddeabe" in the Windows 7 computer (in which the audio works) and "hdsp.inf_amd64_1dc8f45e9bfbfb7e" in the Windows 8.1 computer (in which the audio does not work). Is that of any significance?

23 (edited by dbarrow 2014-04-03 17:13:49)

I tried the new 3.40 driver and the ExpressCard/Digiface combo still doesn't work, but I no longer get an error message with the WDM channels in the Windows Sound setup (playing a sound). The meter in the Windows Sound setup dialog even shows a meter level when the sound is supposedly playing, but there is no sound and no meter level in Totalmix. Foobar2000, which used to report an error playing back through the WDM channels, now just doesn't play and there is no error message. Overall, the driver behavior has changed slightly, but still no sound.

Has the current driver actually been tested on a Windows 8.1 notebook with an ExpressCard slot with Digiface/ExpressCard? My slot seems to work correctly with other cards (USB, firewire adapter, etc.) so I'm not sure what specific driver I might be missing. Any such drivers would be part of the chipset drivers from Intel, right?

So far, I have only found one other person who has even tried the ExpressCard/Digiface combination and they couldn't get it to work with Windows 8.1 either. I sure would like to be able to use the ExpressCard/Digiface combination with the Windows 8.1 notebook I bought specifically for this purpose.

I have tested the ExpressCard slot with a USB adapter, a Firewire adapter and an ExpressCard to Cardbus adapter with a Cardbus Firewire adapter plugged into that, connected to a Firewire HD enclosure. All of these work flawlessly, so there is no problem with the ExpressCard slot, Intel drivers for that, etc. That leaves the RME driver...

I just tested the Digiface with HDSPe ExpressCard in my notebook with driver 3.40 and the latest Windows 8.1 - zero problem...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

28 (edited by dbarrow 2014-04-07 21:25:41)

What should I do then? It works on my older computer with Windows 7, but not on my new Windows 8.1 notebook. Everything else works on the Windows 8.1 notebook, including various devices plugged into the ExpressCard slot. I have the latest firmware, device drivers, BIOS, chipset drivers, etc. Do I need a newer version of the ExpressCard?

I would suggest to talk to ADK directly.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

30 (edited by dbarrow 2014-04-07 22:24:44)

I have talked to them directly numerous times, including having Eric connected to my computer remotely to install a new BIOS and do numerous tests. Everything works as expected. The ExpressCard slot and everything else works perfectly. Only the ExpressCard/Digiface don't work, even though they work in the other, older Windows 7 notebook.

Have they tested it on another similar laptop, or let you test another one? We can clearly rule out a general issue between the card/driver and Win 8 here. In one way or another, this must be a matter of this individual setup.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have Windows 8.1, not Windows 8. I have seen several people that have issues with Windows 8.1 not working correctly in other forums. This was after upgrading to 8.1. This computer was built with 8.1 already installed. I have two other rackmount PCs that were built with 8.1, running the RayDAT cards with no problems. I am looking for someone else with an 8.1 notebook to test myself.

Have you come across other compatibility issues with this setup for particular hardware/drivers, like graphics cards or something else that might be in my computer that is different from other working models? I don't have the resources to test multiple notebooks, other than the other Windows 7 notebook I have (that already works). The setup app sees the card, can change the sample rate, buffers, etc. and this is picked up in Sonar, Software Audio Console, etc., but no audio. Digicheck has the "hardware" option greyed out.

34 (edited by dbarrow 2014-04-08 06:27:10)

I got Digicheck to display hardware input by unchecking "Set sample rate for ASIO inputs". Before that the "hardware" option was greyed out. Once I unchecked the "Set sample rate for ASIO inputs" the "hardware" option was available even if I rechecked the box. There is still no meter indication from ASIO inputs.

You changed the measurement function. Spectral Analyzer, Totalyzer, Goniometer will still have Hardware greyed out.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

What are the specs of the notebook you have it working on?

I could sure use some help with this problem. I have spent thousands of dollars on computer and RME hardware that is supposed to work, but doesn't. I have spent weeks trying to get this problem solved. Is anyone else having issues with Digiface/ExpressCard and Windows 8.1?

MC, can you please share the specs of the notebook you have Digiface/ExpressCard and Windows 8.1 working on?

That doesn't help you at all: Dell Studio 1535.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is it AMD or Intel? Chipset? That would sure help me rule out differences. I have been working on this for weeks and I'm getting very frustrated.

Specs on paper really won't help - there are no specs or types of laptops that are known to be problematic. This must be an individual issue of the type of laptop or even of the individual unit. I'm afraid we won't likely be able to solve this on this forum. Have you considered sending the whole setup to ADK for them to check and compare with other similar laptops?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have been on the phone with them for days. We are uninstalling Windows 8.1 and trying this setup on Windows 7 on the computer in question. We are almost done with that.

It looks like it doesn't work with a fresh install of Windows 7 on this computer, so it now looks like there is an issue with this particular hardware combination. ADK Computers says they tested this hardware combination and it worked. Apparently I have a slightly newer BIOS, which wasn't actually tested. I'm stumped now. I have spent thousands of dollars and weeks of researching, configuring and testing - for nothing...

I have the same ExpressCard/Digiface combo that works on one Windows 7 computer, but not on another Windows 8.1 computer that I bought from ADK computers for the express purpose of using it with his hardware. The computer cost over $4,000 and works with other ExpressCards (USB, Firewaire and ExpressCard to CardBus adapter). My only solution seems to be to send the computer back to ADK for weeks of "testing" with no guarantee of a further solution. Welcome to the club.

Completely unrelated issue, and it doesn't get better by copying your specific problem into other threads.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Sorry. I am having problems with the Digfiface/ExpressCard Combo and I am not getting any real help. I have spent thousands of dollars and I can't do any audio with the equipment I now have. I am open to any solutions you may want to provide that don't require buying all new hardware or sending hardware off for weeks of testing. Everyone involved stands by their products, but they don't work together in my particular case and, since I am one individual, no one seems interested in helping me further. It is extremely frustrating.

You seem not to accept that the only solution to your problem is the one that you mentioned yourself: send in the whole system to ADK. That is as logical as unavoidable. Every day you refuse to do so you lose another day, and also lose the right to complain about your situation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I bought a Fireface UFX, which works flawlessly, but doesn't have the 24 ADAT in/out that was the reason for buying the Digiface. I did find another custom BIOS that has an updated PCI bus revision, as well as some other updates, updated Intel Management Engine firmware, etc., but I still have the same behavior: Digiface/ExpressCard shows up as working in Device Manager, but no audio in or out of Windows, ASIO or otherwise. Everything else works perfectly, including numerous ExpressCard USB and Firewire adapters plugged in to the same slot.