Topic: HDSPe Expresscard ok on Windows 7 but not on Windows 8.1

My Lenovo T61p computer went to computer heaven, so I moved the HDSPe Expresscard into a new Lenovo W540 computer (8 GB ram at this moment) on which I have installed Windows 8.1 (clean install).

I just installed the 3.40 driver program, and the status is 'ready to use'.

However, the card is not visible in device manager.

When I try to manually add the hardware in device manager, I can choose the RME drivers 3.40 HDSPe, but when selecting those, the system crashes :
'system thread exception not handled hdsp_64.sys'

Can someone confirm this driver should be compatible on Windows 8.1 (or only on Windows 8 ) ? Any ideas of what could be causing the crash ?

2 (edited by wimvanaelst 2014-04-14 00:22:57)

Re: HDSPe Expresscard ok on Windows 7 but not on Windows 8.1

This did the trick: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13608

These BIOS settings helped:

Config --> Power:
PCI Express Power Management: Disabled
Express Card Speed: Generation 1

Everything working great now !  :-)

Flashing the ExpressCard to the latest firmware 20 would most probably have eliminated the problem before it showed up.

Your thread title is misleading as you basically changed the computer hardware, with the OS not making a difference.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

This is very well possible. I remember I have flashed the card to the latest version, but since we are already a few months further I do not remember if I did this before or after the driver installation. Anyway... I'm glad I found these settings somewhere on the forum. Everything works great now.