Topic: direct monitoring/software monitoring and recordign with effects

Hey Guys,

I have a question regarding recording with effects. Some info first I guess.

I currently use Nuendo 4, hammerfall HDSP9652, apogee AD16x and ADI8 pro for DA.

If I am in software monitor mode, there is always a touch of latency and negative artifacts regardless of the latency set on my hammerfall control panel. If I switch to and from direct monitor to software monitor (in nuendo) I can hear the difference right away, in the direct monitor mode a mono signal is more central and solid, etc. However, to be able to record a vocal and monitor it with reverb, I have to be in software monitor mode. Which I dont want to do.

I am wondering what others are doing when they wish to record something and monitor that track with effects during the performance.

The only thing I can think of is to send out the recording tracks out of my ADI8 into a hardware mixer which is hooked up to a hardware reverb, then to my headphone system. But it means i'll have to get a mixer which has a good signal path because it will be between my DA outs and my monitors. Which means $$$$$$.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks guys,

Re: direct monitoring/software monitoring and recordign with effects

This is a problem that TotalMix FX is designed to solve. You could get a Fireface UFX or Fireface 802 to replace the old HDSP 9652. Since you use direct input monitoring, the minor additional latency of FW/USB vs PCI should not be an issue.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.