Topic: Multiface / Time to upgrade???

I'm still using my Multiface (I) and PCI card that I bought in 2004....

Is it time to UPGRADE?? to something else??

it works great, but it's getting old....

So I wonder if I'm missing something......

If I bought a new interface, would I be blown away by the improvement of sound / performance??

your thoughts please.

2 (edited by Randyman... 2014-05-22 03:35:32)

Re: Multiface / Time to upgrade???

You'd likely be blown away with a shiny new computer - but then you have to make sure you find one that will work flawlessly with your aging PCI HDSP card.  If you find a new PC that won't have a performance penalty over PCI, I doubt a new RME Interface will get you a substantial improvement over the MF you have now.

You could always track down a HDSPe PCIe card and continue using your trusty MF with ANY modern desktop PC with a PCIe slot.  I still run a few MF's (one over PCI) and a Digiface along with newer RME Gear.  I love all of it!

Of course the newer FF802 and UCX will have a bit better converters (and faster converters), will have a few mic Pre's, and TM-FX is killer bar-none (don't overlook TM-FX - it's a BEAST!).

Would the $$$ investment in one of these newer units outweigh keeping your MF and investing in 1 or 2 nice pieces of analog gear, descent monitors, or a descent mic?  That's a question only you can really answer based off your particular workflow...

The RME USB interfaces do recommend more recent Intel Chipsets for best USB performance.  What is the state of your current PC?  And what outboard/monitors/mics/rooms do you have now?  What's your workflow?  That's really the path to a meaningful answer to this question smile

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

3 (edited by musikmiester2937 2014-05-22 03:49:50)

Thanks!!

I'm taking the short answer to my question is "no".

My MF is working very well for me....not running into any problems whatsoever....
I just wondered if the newer converters were going  to "stun" me into buying one!

Sounds like I should think about a PCIe card in the future, especially if I update computers. or some other piece of gear.

I haven't heard the newer ones to know whether an update is due!

Sounds like there are lots of MF's still in use by happy owners.
I am one. just wondering if the grass was greener.... big_smile

well, and I do have the MF I, so I'm "behind" a few products.

Excuse to chime in. I use my Digiface since years and I do not need anything else. Recently I bought an Expresscard for my "new" Laptop, works like a dream in Win and Linux.
So my suggestion: Keep it.

Regards
Zapp

Hi,

I agree with Zapp. My old Multiface works perfectly and I even started to use it in my desktop computer. There is an an adapter available (noname product for 15 Euros) that enables you to plug your RME Expresscard into a PCIe Slot so enabeling you to keep using you multiface even if you don't want to buy the PCIe-Card and also if you Laptop doesn't have an Expresscard-Slot anymore(Thanks Apple for that!). So after using pretty much all of RMEs sound cards, I had a Digi 9652, HDSP 9652, HDSP 9632, with all the extra outboards, RME TEB and a number of RME AEB8-O s, when I switched to a new system without PCI-Slots, all that remained is my Multiface I with Expresscard and the adapter to PCIe and it works perfectly;-)))

Best regards,

Ludwig

P.S. I'm selling off the cards I'm not using anymore on ebay, one DIGI 9652, one HDSP 9652, one HDSP 9632, one RME TEB and four RME AEB8-O s, if anyone is interested my username on ebay is LudwigWB