Topic: Using Valhalla Vintage Verb with TotalmixFX

Hi,

as the reverb is the only real dissapointment for me with the Fireface UFX and the reason I did not monitor itb so far and there are no plans to open TotalmixFX for VST I have found my own way of using my favourite Reverb (VVV) as monitorreverb from within Totalmix.

Maybe you find it useful, too. (Windows).

Make a hardware connection between an output and input on the fireface. I use the AES as I don't use it otherwise.
Put an instance of Herman Seib's VST-Host in your autostartfolder and set the inputs and outputs to the used hardware in-and outputs and load your reverb VST.

In the hardware output of the used channel (bottom row) turn the effect return to the max and enable the Delay. Set the delaytime and feedback to 0 to use it as an aux send (thanks for that possibility RME) and the spread to 0 as well.

Now you can use the AES Fader in the softwareplayback row to feed the reverb to the desired outputs instead of the effect returns.

Now you can use your favourite reverb plug in just as the Totalmix internal reverb.
My VST host starts minimalized, so that I never see it. It just runs in the background and calculates the reverb.

Re: Using Valhalla Vintage Verb with TotalmixFX

Neat idéa!

I've done this in live settings before but using Reaper as the host. It usually works pretty well. The safest bet is if you have a spare computer with a Babyface or something with more inputs, then you can run any VST host and have several mono/stereo sends for different reverbs. The machine has to be really stable. I've had an audio dropout once on my MacBook Pro but it was not setup for recording anyway - only as a reverb box.

As I record to the laptop most of the time - for live shows - I use my Behringer REV2496 slaved on AES from the UFX as it's 100% rock solid.

Mats Helgesson
http://www.livingsound.se

Re: Using Valhalla Vintage Verb with TotalmixFX

Yep,
I don't know the Rev2496.
I have tried it with an Alesis Midiverb 4 but think, that VVV is much, much better.